What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

前田さんのお父さんが死にました。

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
I've come across quite a few sentences as follows written in the pattern where the noun that goes with が belongs to the first noun that goes with は.
田中さんは顔が丸いです。
田中さんは丸い顔をしています。
田中さんは大きい目をしています。

So I wonder if the following correct grammatically for the meaning the same as the topic?
前田さんはお父さんが死にました。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
That works only in a specific context.
e.g.
昨日の地震で、佐藤さんは、お母さんがけがをしました。前田さんは、お父さんが亡くなりました。

There's a well-known sentence 僕はウナギだ. This doesn't mean "I'm an eel" in a fairy tale or something (yes, it can mean so, of course). A famous linguist 奥津敬一郎 gave this example to explain the function of は. He said that this is commonly used in a conversation as "unadon (bowl of eel and rice ) please" when ordering dishes in a restaurant. It's naturally interpreted as 僕はウナギを注文します from the context. Similarly, 佐藤さんは and 前田さんは means 佐藤さんについては and 前田さんについては in the sentence above, respectively.

healer

Sempai
Reaction score
僕はウナギだ
It could be translated as "As for me, it's eel."
I read Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese. He argues that は is a topic marker best translated as "as to", not simply "be or is or are". I can relate to what you say, all about context again. So could you tell me if the sentence 前田さんはお父さんが死にました grammatically correct standing on its own. Thanks!

Top Bottom