What's new

出たて / あたらせた / 急速な進化を遂げた / 今度ははその灯り

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi,

1. 彼は大学を出たてのほやほやだ。

What is 出たて? Is たて = 立て? What is the meaning?

2. 政府は委員会を設けてその事故の解明にあたらせた。

Is あたらせた = 当たらせた? Is it saying that the government caused the committee to perform the action 解明にあたる? (Literally, I mean. I'm not suggesting that this would be a natural way to express it in English.)

3. コンピューターは急速な進化を遂げた。

The translation given for this is "Computers have made rapid progress." I thought it meant "Computers have brought about rapid change." Is my interpretation possible?

4. ハグリッドの小屋の窓に灯りが点り、さっき芝生を横切っていくのを見た人影が、今度ははその灯りを受けてシルエットを見せている。

What is 今度ははその灯り? Is it just a misprint for 今度はその灯り?

lanthas

Reaction score
1. The masu-stem of a verb followed by たて means that the verb was only just done (see this page under "Suffix" for some examples). So, he only just got out of university.

There's a similar-sounding pattern where you take the te-form of a verb and replace the final て by たって (or the final で by だって). For as far as I can tell the result of this has the same meaning as te-form + も, but it's entirely possible there's some difference in nuance I'm not aware of.

3. If you look at the definition of 遂げる, it means "to accomplish", "to arrive at" etc.; not "help others accomplish" or "bring about".

4. Looks like a typo to me as well.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a similar-sounding pattern where you take the te-form of a verb and replace the final て by たって (or the final で by だって).
"The past form + って/The -te form + も" and "the -masu stem + たて" are completely different for godan verbs.
e.g.
焼きたてのパン(=焼いたばかりのパン)
vs.
焼いたって/焼いても

4)
今度はは is no doubt a typo, as already answered, but さっき芝生を横切っていくのを見た人影が also has a problem. 人影 is usually (or almost always) interpreted as the subject of 見た in this clause, even the 人影's action mentioned previously in the context. It should be さっき芝生を横切っていくのが見えた人影が.

lanthas

Reaction score
"The past form + って/The -te form + も" and "the -masu stem + たて" are completely different for godan verbs.
I wrote it as "て→たって" rather than "past+って" to account for the negative of this pattern: 出なかったって 出なくたって.

And yes, for godan verbs it's different from stem+たて, but for ichidan (like in this case) it's similar. Just wanted to make sure that when eeky encounters 出たって at some point, he knows it's not necessarily a typo of 出たて :)