What's new

元旦おめでとうあげまして

xminus1

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
To all the members of Japan Reference, I wish a happy and prosperous 2020. May all our Japan- and Japanese-related goals be accomplished this year! 🇯🇵

My Minna reading book has a short passage about the Japanese new year, as it happens, and I have a question about a sentence I read:

あなたも一年初めにその年にしようと思うことをかんがえますか。​
I think the sentence means, freely "Do you also think about something you'd like to do at the start of the year?"

My question is with 「一年初めにその年に」. Does this literally mean "in that year at the beginning for one year"?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what it really means, but this seems like a lot of words. 年の初めに seems much simpler. Would someone please explain this for me? Thanks!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Isn't that あなたも一年初めに or あなたも年初めに(一 is not there)?

元旦おめでとうあげまして doesn't make sense, by the way. That's あまして (the -te form of 明けます), not あまして, and the order must be あけましておめでとう.

xminus1

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Hello, Toritoribe-san, happy new year and thank you for all the corrections of my mistakes, now and in the past year. I am confident that in 2020 many more Japanese blunders of mine will be forthcoming :ROFLMAO:; all I can say is thank goodness for Japan Reference and this forum!

Yes, you are right about the missing の. The actual sentence was:
あなたも1年初めにその年にしようと思うことをかんがえますか。​

I would still be grateful for some help understanding this phrase. I do understand that the 年 in 1年 (いちねん) is a counter, and その年 (そのとし) refers to a year, but my literal translation "in that year at the beginning of 1 year" doesn't seem correct.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
A happy new year!

Actually, 年 in 一年 is not a counter. 一年 means "a year" as same as 年(とし), not a time length "one year" there.

一年(いちねん) の意味
5 ある年。「青春の一年ロンドンに遊ぶ」

Also, その年 is "the year in the topic/the year we are talking about", thus, your example sentence means "At the beginning of a year, do you also think about something you'd like to do in the year?".

xminus1

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Perfect. Thank you so much, Toritoribe-san 🙏