What's new

ゴッド・スレイヤーの取扱説明書

Astralogic

先輩
10 Aug 2014
On the first page of the manual there is a very short but very confusing sentence. I see two lines of text but I don't know if they are connected to each other or not. I will write them exactly as I see them.

コントローラー操作
使いようは、君次第

Searching on space alc gives the translation of "it depends on you" for 君次第. But it doesn't make sense, I'm stumped on this.

And finally 各画面 is read as かくがめん correct?

Thanks

Edit: I just realized I spelled the title wrong :/

Last edited:
"コントローラー操作
使いようは、君次第"

操作 is present in almost every videogame that lets you customize the controls, as it stands for "operate/manipulate" in english, what makes me think that the "way of operating depends on you(your likes and such), and you are free to customize the buttons/directionals"(-kind of ) , can you provide more information about the manual and the game?

Here's a pic of the page:

up-to-you.jpg

There are sayings like 物は使い様 which basically means "results are dependant on how you use things". This looks similar to me - it's not actually info about the controls, it's more like filler/flavour text. Mike's "It's up to you" works nicely. Think of the first line there as the actual page title, the second as a sort of subheader/tagline. The other pages of the manual will probably follow this pattern.

Yes on the reading of 各画面

I will just note here for any beginners who may be looking in: 次第 is a very useful word.

In オープニングデモ中 is 中 read ちゅう or なか?

Also 文字, is it read as もんじ or もじ in this sentence: 名前は6文字まで入ります。
Why is there two ways to say it and how will I know when to use which reading?

1) I would guess ちゅう here (note: sometimes as a suffix 中 can be じゅう for "throughout").
2) 文字 is もじ normally (もんじ I don't think is common standing on its own, but there are words like 十文字).

Kanji readings are a lot like English spellings - there are some patterns but also a heck of a lot of unpredictable exceptions. There's no more reason to it than why "wind" (that blowy stuff) and "wind" (as a verb, e.g. the thing you do to string or clockworks) aren't pronounced the same.

If your dictionary doesn't distinguish between the two, though, get a better dictionary. I find at 国語・英和・和英・類語・中国語辞書検索 - goo辞書 a good method is to see what is listed in their 和英 (JP-EN) dictionary, which doesn't even bother with もんじ. In the 国語 (JP-JP) dictionaries, the more common will have a proper definition, the more obscure readings will just link back to the most common (e.g. the もんじ entry there pretty much just says 「もじ(文字)」に同じ。).

Guys I can't find any mention anywhere of the word 除除. Is it uncommon or something? What does it mean?

Edit: I'm getting the impression it is a variation of 徐徐.

Last edited:
サブ画面への変更と

Do you have a copy of the manual on hand? That's not the part I'm looking at, look on page 8, near the bottom, the explanation of どく contains the word 除除. It looks to me like it is used exactly like 徐徐 is used.

Edit: I can upload a picture of the page if you want.

What is the kanji for せきか at the top of the next page? Is that a typo of せっか (石化) ?

せきか is an alternate reading for 石化。 I think せっか would be more normal in day-to-day life, though.

I found a little interesting discussion of this issue
石化
本来は「せきか」ではなく「せっか」と促音便するのだが、
なぜかRPGでは「せきか」ということになっている。
おそらく、初期のゲームでは漢字が使えないため、わかりやすく「せきか」としたのだろう。
それはさておき「回復手段が限られ、完全に行動不能になる永続状態異常」という点は、
多くのRPGに当てはまるものと見てよい。

Basically, it may have been that in early games that didn't use kanji, せきか was used to be easier to understand. (Then, of course, later games just copy established vocab/concepts over).

Interesting information indeed.

この時、「CONTINUE」を選ぶと、ゲームオーバー地点に一番近い画面からスタートできます。

The red part confuses me, does it mean the closest screen?

毒・麻痺・石化・呪いの状態のままゲームオーバーとなっても、「CONTINUE」は、ノーマル状態に戻ります。

How is pronounced after continue, あと or ご?

ただし、一度、電源を落とすと、コンティニュウデーターはクリアされ、ニューゲームとして、一番最初からスタートします。

I understand what this sentence is saying, but I don't understand why 一度 is there, it makes perfect sense to me without it.

ゲーム途中なら、保存データーをロードして、ゲームを続けてください。

What is 保存データー? Backup data or something?

The red part confuses me, does it mean the closest screen? <- Yes

毒・麻痺・石化・呪いの状態のままゲームオーバーとなっても、「CONTINUE」後は、ノーマル状態に戻ります。
How is 後 pronounced after continue, あと or ご? <- In this sort of situation it is usually pronounced ご.

I understand what this sentence is saying, but I don't understand why 一度 is there, it makes perfect sense to me without it. <- The sentence looks awkward to me due to the comma after 一度.

ゲーム途中なら、保存データーをロードして、ゲームを続けてください。
What is 保存データー? Backup data or something? <- It refers to the saved game data which I presume you have to save for yourself in a memory slot or something.

The red part confuses me, does it mean the closest screen?
You can think 画面 refers to 場面 "scene (of the game)" here.

I understand what this sentence is saying, but I don't understand why 一度 is there, it makes perfect sense to me without it.
Indeed the comma after 一度 is unusual, but 一度 means "when/if once you turn off the power" in that sentence anyway.

Thanks guys :) Here's a pic of the page I'm on if you need any context.

ゲーム画面上、常に表示されます。冒険中、行動の目安にしましょう。

The 上 in 画面上 is read as じょう right? And 行動の目安 is a bit tricky for me, "target's movement"? That sounds wrong.

HP値

This 値 is read as ち?

ダメージが加わる度に目盛が減り、0の時点でゲームオーバーです。LVが上がると、HP値も増えます。

I'm not sure how 度 is being used here in 加わる度 .

各1・2・3まであり、玉・腕輪の装備で増えていきます。

まであり is confusing me, is it ま+であり or まで+あり ?

現経験値・現レベル

Just to be sure, 現 is read as げん in both of the above?

ゲーム画面上、常に表示されます。冒険中、行動の目安にしましょう。

The 上 in 画面上 is read as じょう right?
Right.

And 行動の目安 is a bit tricky for me, "target's movement"?
めやす 目安
〈標準〉 a standard; a yardstick; a criterion
「目安」の英語・英語例文・英語表現 - Weblio和英辞書

HP値

This 値 is read as ち?
Yes.

ダメージが加わる度に目盛が減り、0の時点でゲームオーバーです。LVが上がると、HP値も増えます。

I'm not sure how 度 is being used here in 加わる度 .
−たび【−度】
2 〔「…する度に」の形で,…するごとに〕
彼女は会う度にわび言を言う
She apologizes whenever she sees me.
会う度にその子は大きくなっていた
The child had grown taller every time I saw her.
度を英語で訳す - goo辞書 英和和英

現経験値・現レベル

Just to be sure, 現 is read as げん in both of the above?
Yes.

Back
Top Bottom