What's new

を見るといった ?

PaulTB

Manga Psychic
22 Jan 2004
I came across を見るといった used in a way that confuses me.

「大図鑑」は、 カラー写真・ 図版約8500 点を約1000 ページの本にまとめたものです。 電子ブックプレーヤーで検索した項目から「大図鑑」 の写真・ 図版のページを参照でき、 逆に「大図鑑」 の写真・ 図版につけた3 桁のコードを電子ブックプレーヤーに入力して、 説明文を見るといった使い方ができます。

Konnichiwa PaulTB-san!

I came across を見るといった used in a way that confuses me.
"...といった" means "and more" or something.

an instance,
PaulTB-sanさんは、日本やアメリカといった多くの国で人気です!
PaulTB is famous in Japan and America and many other countries!

PaulTB-sanさんは、日本やアメリカで人気です!
PaulTB is famous in Japan and America!

中国語や日本語、ドイツ語、英語といった言葉を話せます。
I can speak Chinese, Japanese, German, English and etc.

中国語や日本語、ドイツ語、英語が話せます。
I can speak Chinese, Japanese, German and English.

In your case, "説明文を見るといった使い方ができます" means "You can use the "search and display" function, and other convenient functions" I think. 😌

NANGI

And here I was thinking it was just an alternative way to say という.

Glenn said:
And here I was thinking it was just an alternative way to say という.
Well it is a (past tense) alternative way to say という but in this context it's a bit different.

Glennさんは、 日本やアメリカといった多くの国で人気です!
Glenn is famous in Japan and America and many other countries!
~ Having said Glenn is famous in Japan and America, he's also so in many other countries!

That's not an exact match but I can see how it could have come from that sort of phrase.

Last edited:
What I meant by that was that I was surprised to see NANGI's explanation of it. I didn't realize there was such a difference. Come to think of it, it makes me wonder if I'm really understanding という in the first place. Does it have a more specific meaning than just "a type of..."? Note that I'm only talking about the "type of" という, and not the one used as a specifier (or generalizer, not sure which way it's going really) like 「貴様」という言葉.

Glenn said:
What I meant by that was that I was surprised to see NANGI's explanation of it. I didn't realize there was such a difference. Come to think of it, it makes me wonder if I'm really understanding という in the first place. Does it have a more specific meaning than just "a type of..."? Note that I'm only talking about the "type of" という, and not the one used as a specifier (or generalizer, not sure which way it's going really) like 「貴様」という言葉.

But that usage is entirely different to that in the example sentences for といった. If you substitute という in that sense you get something like

Glennさんは、 日本やアメリカという多くの国で人気です!
Glenn is famous in the many countries known as Japan and America.

=================================================
Actually I'm still confused about how it's being used in a different sentence.

雑誌がもし編集部公認でブログを出せるなら、 アンテナショップを出す感覚で大胆にネット上の反応を見るといった試みがあってもよいが、 コンテンツを持ち出すのに迷いがある。

Last edited:
=================================================
Actually I'm still confused about how it's being used in a different sentence.

雑誌がもし編集部公認でブログを出せるなら、 アンテナショップを出す感覚で大胆にネット上の反応を見るといった試みがあってもよいが、 コンテンツを持ち出すのに迷いがある。
I'm not sure exactly what is being meant by the sense of an アンテナショップ .....but I don't see how 見るといった here is that different than the other example. The reaction on the net (among other places) can be confidently assessed even while arranging for the blog's contents is more perplexing.

Elizabeth said:
I'm not sure exactly what is being meant by the sense of an アンテナショップ
It's a shop - for antennas.

Elizabeth said:
.....but I don't see how 見るといった here is that different than the other example. The reaction on the net (among other places) can be confidently assessed even while arranging for the blog's contents is more perplexing.

Well I suppose the first bit can be dropped without causing trouble.

アンテナショップを出す感覚で大胆にネット上の反応を 見るといった試みがあってもよいが、 コンテンツを持ち出すのに迷いがある。

But I don't see how it translates like you suggest.

アンテナショップを出す感覚で大胆にネット上の反応を見る

Boldly(?) see the reaction on the net by the feel produced by the Antenna Shop blog.

大胆に doesn't seem to make much sense there.

コンテンツを持ち出すのに迷いがある。
There is indecision/confusion over what to put out.

I think
試みがあってもよい
is "It would be good if [the other magazine blogs] meet the [Antenna Shop] example"

Without the "(among other places)" actually specified in the original anywhere I'm dubious that it is the same usage of といった.

Boldly(?) see the reaction on the net by the feel produced by the Antenna Shop blog.

コンテンツを持ち出すのに迷いがある。

I think
試みがあってもよい
is "It would be good if [the other magazine blogs] meet the [Antenna Shop] example"

Without the "(among other places)" actually specified in the original anywhere I'm dubious that it is the same usage of といった.
OK, OK I was reading 試みがあって simply as "have a go at it", "looking at reactions on the net etc can be tried/can be experimented with", "while the magazine blog can try looking at reactions on the net or various places"....but I wasn't sure it that was grammatical or not. The "in the sense of putting out an antenna shop" part is also unclear. Is the magazine for or about antennas ?

コンテンツを持ち出すのに迷いがある。

I think
試みがあってもよい

OK, OK I was reading 試みがあって simply as "have a go at it", "looking at reactions on the net etc can be tried/can be experimented with", "while the magazine blog can try looking at reactions on the net or various places"....but I wasn't sure it that was grammatical or not. The "in the sense of putting out an antenna shop" part is also unclear. Is the magazine for or about antennas ? :eek:

Elizabeth said:
The "in the sense of putting out an antenna shop" part is also unclear. Is the magazine for or about antennas ?
This entry should help clear up any confusion about the term 「アンテナショップ」.

PaulTB said:
I thought アンテナショップを出す感覚 was "the feel put forth by the Antenna Shop (blogs)" but now I'm not so sure.
For it to be that, you'd need アンテナショップ出す instead of 「を」, and you'd probably want a different word (something like 「雰囲気」, perhaps?) in place of 感覚.

As far as this line goes, I think Elizabeth's interpretation above is on target.

PaulTB said:
Well I never would have guessed. ^^;

Darn 新語.
I was thinking it could have been used more metaphorically, like putting out electronic feelers or tentacles but even that seemed a stretch. Never would have guessed at a formal business term. The interesting uses English can put put to in another language. :p

Back
Top Bottom