What's new

わかりました, what does it really mean?

godppgo

先輩
26 Jan 2006
As I am getting more familiar with Japanese, I am finding it to be a really ambiguous language at times. It just occured to me the other day that I don't really know what Japanese people mean when they reply わかりました. The word わかる means understand, comprehend, or grasp. However, when I ask or request something to Japanese, they'll reply in わかりました and I still have no clue if that is a yes or no. Is it wrong for me to try to interpret the reponse in terms of yes or no?

I guess my question is more of a cultural question rather than a language question....

sl0thmachin3 said:
It loosely translates to "understood."

Adding ~shita to wakaru changes the tense to past tense.

So they understood my proposition and? Many times I thought we had an agreement on something and later on it turns out when they said わかりました they don't necessary agree or against my proposition. It leaves alot of room for imagination...

That's about it I guess. They understood what you said but they aren't saying whether they agree or disagree. It's like during conversations when they continually say "hai" or "ee." They are not saying they agree with what you say, it's more like they're saying that so you'd know they are paying attention.

Here's a handy little chart to help you out

What they say - what they mean
no - "no"
that will be difficult - "no"
I'm not sure - "no"
we'll think about it - "no"
yes - "no"
I understand - "no, and I have no idea what you're talking about"

Joking aside, wakarimashita isn't a yes or a no, so if you're not satisfied with that answer, you gotta keep pressing 'em.

I thought females would have no trouble grasping this aspect of Japanese.

I'm not going to touch that one, but I wonder how you feel about Japanese females? Are they worse about it than the males?

Glenn said:
I'm not going to touch that one, but I wonder how you feel about Japanese females? Are they worse about it than the males?

That's a hard question to answer. I'd say they are pretty close, though I'm tending to think men are a little worse...I think it depends on the depth of the relationship. This hasn't really been a problem for me with actual Japanese friends. I'd say it also depends on the topic at hand.

One of the things that I have trouble with is knowing when to use, and I'm using plain forms here... 分かった vs 分かる。

Talking to someone explaining something to you, oh, I understand now, wakaru... but no, that's not correct, it's wakatta, or, I got it now, or I came to understand...

Correct me if I am wrong here, I think (-ta) form is the informal past tense form? That's why sometimes people say wakatta instead of wakarimashita while both meaning the same: understood.

godppgo said:
Correct me if I am wrong here, I think (-ta) form is the informal past tense form? That's why sometimes people say wakatta instead of wakarimashita while both meaning the same: understood.
True, but you can use can use wakatta/wakarimashita talking about something that people have just told you...

I think if there is some initial ambiguity, then you understand, you use the past tense.

godppgo said:

@godppgo , we must be careful not to fall into the trap of assuming a one-for-one relationship between Japanese and English grammatical elements--because such assumptions often lead us into errors.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Japanese language.

Of course, in many cases, past or present tense may be used much the same way in both languages. The problem is that such usage does not apply to all Japanese verb in all cases.

To begin with, the significance of past tense of わかる is unrelated to past tense in English. The meaning in Japanese greatly depends on the context. Often a Japanese person will reply with わかりました not to indicate that they understand or have understood, but merely to politely let you know that they have heard what you said. It doesn't neccessarily mean that they agree with you or even fully comprehend everything you said, but merely that they have taken it all in.

From my experience, I have found that Japanese words are often used with a meaning other than those listed in the dictionary.

Furthermore, the main difference between the short -ta form and the longer -mashita form is one of politeness. A Japanese person uses the informal form or the polite form of the verb (automatically without thinking about it) depending on the speakers innate (meaning: unconscious) idea of their own social status relative to that of the person they are speaking to.

Another example with wakaru--When a Japanese boss is explaining something to a subordinate, he may pause several times during the explanation and say "wakaru-n-desho", which is something like "You get what I'm saying, right?" He is using the present tense "wakaru" because the explanation is still ongoing.

Then when the explanation is all finished, he will likely pause, look at the subordinate, and say, "wakatta na" or "wakatta ne" merely to confirm, like, "You got it, right?" Using the past tense because the explanation is finished.
There are many examples of such usage of past and present in Japanese.

For example, arigato gozaimasu vs arigato gozaimashita. The difference in usage is not really a verb tense thing in the normal sense, but depends on the context--whether it's an interim thank-you or a final thank-you. When you select a big ticket item in the dept store, the clerk will likely say Thank you using the present tense -masu form. When you finish being cashed out at the register, you will always get a final -mashita form of Thank-you.

I hope this long explanation has been some help.

JimmySeal said:
Here's a handy little chart to help you out
What they say - what they mean
no - "no"
that will be difficult - "no"
I'm not sure - "no"
we'll think about it - "no"
yes - "no"
I understand - "no, and I have no idea what you're talking about"
Joking aside, wakarimashita isn't a yes or a no, so if you're not satisfied with that answer, you gotta keep pressing 'em.

Hey JimmySeal,

I like your chart. That's great.

Jagotaro said:
It's certainly been some help to me! Many thanks, Jagotaro.

One question, though: In your example, which tense of "wakaru" would the subordinate use in reply (i.e., at points during the explanation and then after it)?

J44xm said:
One question, though: In your example, which tense of "wakaru" would the subordinate use in reply (i.e., at points during the explanation and then after it)?

J44, that's a very astute question.

During the explanation, the subordinate would likely interject repeatedly a short and sharp "hai" which is equivalent to "Yes, sir" in English. If the subordinate is a very young and new employee and the boss is considerably older, the subordinate would likely say "ee" "ee" numerous times during the explanation to show a higher degree of respect. (Note: Of course, "ee" cannot be short and sharp.)

When the explanation is finished, the subordinate will likely respond with "Hai, wakarimashita" or "Ee, wakarimashita."

Maybe I'm a slow learner, but it took many years before I could adequately grasp the various nuances involved in the levels of politeness in Japanese interpersonal communications.

I say "interpersonal communications" because politeness is conveyed by several means--choice of words, voice and intonation, and body language.

Of course, this is also true with Americans speaking English--even if we are not aware of it. Just stop and consider the following scenario...
- You are a young person applying for a job
- You have an interview with a vice-president of a major corporation
- During the interview in his office, you lean back on the couch and cross your legs
- In reply to the VP's questions you say "Yea-a-a-ah man, I'm really thinkin' about dat."

Now, do you think the VP will look at you as a bright young person with a bright future?

Do you thing you would get the job?

Jagotaro,

Thank you for your explanation. I have a better idea on the usage of wakarimashita now. As I get to know about the Japanese language, I also feel the same as what you said on how the real meaning is not always the same as listed on the dictionary. I also agree that Japanese language depends alot on context. There is a subtle difference between words spoken and their English dictionary meaning. Therefore I am trying to use a Japanese-Japanese dictionary. Do you think a Japanese-Japanese dictionary will provide a better explanation?

Always. In fact, it would be better to say that it will provide an explanation. J-E dictionaries only provide a gloss, unless the word is culturally specific to Japanese, like tori'i (and then there are some that are just glossed approximately).

J44xm said:
Thank you very much for the excellent information.
@J44xm , glad to see you sticking around for while. :oops:
I'm just wondering about one thing though, what is 僕はファイナル術んだ ? :shy:

For example, arigato gozaimasu vs arigato gozaimashita. The difference in usage is not really a verb tense thing in the normal sense, but depends on the context--whether it's an interim thank-you or a final thank-you. When you select a big ticket item in the dept store, the clerk will likely say Thank you using the present tense -masu form. When you finish being cashed out at the register, you will always get a final -mashita form of Thank-you.
Sorry I don't have time for a translation now, but this just reminded me of an explanation of the distinction from another thread...

例えば、同僚に資料の作成を頼んでいたとします。
出来上がった資料を受け取る時、何と言うべきでしょ うか?
一般的には「ありがとうございます」で良いでしょう 。
けれど、同僚が資料を作ることに費やした時間も考慮 するなら「ありがとうございました」と言って受け取っ ても、おかしくはないんですよね。

Elizabeth said:
@ J44xm , glad to see you sticking around for while. :oops:
I'm just wondering about one thing though, what is 僕はファイナル術んだ ? :shy:
Thanks. And that should basically be "I am the final jutsu," a small Naruto reference that makes little sense even within context of the show. 😅

J44xm said:
Thanks. And that should basically be "I am the final jutsu," a small Naruto reference that makes little sense even within context of the show. 😅
なんとなく分かった。 Oh, you mean 術なんだ then. That's basically all I wanted to know. 👍

Elizabeth said:
なんとなく分かった。 Oh, you mean 術なんだ then. That's basically all I wanted to know. 👍
Ah, of course! Thanks for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom