What's new

も / だろう / 仕方ない / きて / で

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hiya,

1. この辺も交通が発達して便利になりました。

Translation given: "Tansportation has advanced in this area and it has become more convenient to live here."

What meaning does も add here?

2. In a narrative it is stated that Sachiko sent an email to Sarah about their plans for the upcoming summer holiday. Then the comprehension exercise asks you to mark statements true or false. One of the statements is:

さち子は、夏休みの前にサラにメールを送ったのだろう。

Since this is a black-and-white factual statement that the story clearly shows is true, why the choice of だろう?

3. A student is complaining to her teacher that she has three exams on the same day, and she wants to take one of them the day before. The teacher says 「まあ、そういうことなら仕方ありませんね。」 When I read it, I thought this meant "Well, if that's the case, it can't be helped, can it?", and the vocab in the book does indeed translate 仕方ない as "It can't be helped".

Unfortunately this makes no sense because the teacher straight away agrees to move one of the tests to another day. In fact, it can be helped. So what is meant by 仕方ない? Is it just a slightly inappropriate expression in this context, or could it have a different meaning here, like "that's a nuisance" or something?

4. 工事の音が響いてきてうるさいです。

Translation given: "The construction sounds are very loud and jarring."

What is きて adding? When I read it, I assumed きて was from (~て)くる, and that 響いてきて meant something like "starting to sound/reverberate/etc.", but I don't see any sense of this in the translation.

5. ひどい風でかさがこわれました。

Translation given: "My umbrella broke in the strong wind". Even though it seems adacemic, does で most literally mean "in the wind" or "because of the wind"?

For number 3, perhaps it means "it cannot be helped that the tests have to be moved to another day." That is, the teacher is reluctant to move the tests and give the student special treatment but since the student has such a good excuse, "it can't be helped" that the teacher has to change the test dates. In other words,she has no choice but to comply to the student's request.

1. この辺も交通が発達して便利になりました。
Translation given: "Tansportation has advanced in this area and it has become more convenient to live here."
What meaning does も add here?
That means literally "too/also", thus, connotes "as well as other areas". Incidentally, この辺は gives contrast or "unlike other areas".

2. In a narrative it is stated that Sachiko sent an email to Sarah about their plans for the upcoming summer holiday. Then the comprehension exercise asks you to mark statements true or false. One of the statements is:
さち子は、夏休みの前にサラにメールを送ったのだろう。
Since this is a black-and-white factual statement that the story clearly shows is true, why the choice of だろう?
Probably because that is not mentioned directly (but can be guessed easily).

3. A student is complaining to her teacher that she has three exams on the same day, and she wants to take one of them the day before. The teacher saysツ ツ「窶堙懌?堋?ツ、窶堋サ窶堋、窶堋「窶堋、窶堋ア窶堙??堙遺?堙ァナスd窶「テサ窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堙懌?堋ケ窶堙ア窶堙仰。ツ」 When I read it, I thought this meant "Well, if that's the case, it can't be helped, can it?", and the vocab in the book does indeed translate ナスd窶「テサ窶堙遺?堋「 as "It can't be helped".
Unfortunately this makes no sense because the teacher straight away agrees to move one of the tests to another day. In fact, it can be helped. So what is meant by ナスd窶「テサ窶堙遺?堋「? Is it just a slightly inappropriate expression in this context, or could it have a different meaning here, like "that's a nuisance" or something?
Yeah, HnH-san's interpretation is correct. This 仕方ない expresses that the speaker agree with it(the student's complaining) reluctantly.

4. 工事の音が響いてきてうるさいです。
Translation given: "The construction sounds are very loud and jarring."
What is きて adding? When I read it, I assumed きて was from (~て)くる, and that 響いてきて meant something like "starting to sound/reverberate/etc.", but I don't see any sense of this in the translation.
Right, that's the -te form of 響いてくる. It has a nuance of "the sound reaches here".

5. ひどい風でかさがこわれました。
Translation given: "My umbrella broke in the strong wind". Even though it seems adacemic, does で most literally mean "in the wind" or "because of the wind"?
The latter. If it's 風の中で, で idicates the place where the event occurs.

Back
Top Bottom