What's new

もまたしかり

I believe this can also be categorized as an inversion. There's a sentence that precedes this right?

The general meaning would be "It is unfortunate, but our school must also ______", where またしかり refers to a mentioned principle that was stated before.

Yes that makes sense in the context alot given the context, the context is they are talking about how the cultural festival will be corrupted by some people. But what does this またしかり do is it mata + shika or something?

どの学校の"文化祭"も"文化"とは名ばかりで中身はリア充当の欲望にまみれたバカ騒ぎにすぎん
残念だが我が校もまたしかりだ

At any school the "culture festival" in name is "cultural" only, the result is that it is chaos formed by the desires of idiots. It's unfortunate but our school is no different.

btw do you know what リア充当 is? kinda loosely placed it in the translation

リア充 refers to a person satisfied with his "real" life(i.e. in person and not on the internet)

残念だが我が校も ["文化祭"も"文化"とは名ばかりで中身はリア充当の欲望にまみれたバカ騒ぎにすぎ ん]

Or, to simplify, "Unfortunately, our school is also like that."

so 当, is completely its own word in this case? It means "this" apparently?

also can you explain the またしかりだ is this one set phrase, or what? I still don't really get why its there, given the original setup in the sentence, to refer something back in the sentence, but does it mean anything per say?

Here's some alternative phrases that mean the same thing.

It's similar in meaning to ~もまた同じ or ~もまたそのとおりである

当 can mean the thing in question:

いま問題になっている人や物事をさしていう。ちょうどその。「―相手」
とうの【当の】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

しかり is most likely 然り here:
そのようである。そのとおりである。そうである。
しかり【然り/爾り】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

どの学校の"文化祭"も"文化"とは名ばかりで中身はリア充当の欲望にまみれたバカ騒ぎにすぎ ん。
残念だが我が校もまたしかりだ。

However, I'm wondering if that 当 isn't supposed to be 等. I can't make too much sense of its presence as it is.

I think in this particular context 充当 (to allocate) is the one word, though the original author seem to have mixed up the word with 充足 (to satisfy).

I think in this particular context 充当 (to allocate) is the one word, though the original author seem to have mixed up the word with 充足 (to satisfy).

What does that mean for the リア in there? It still doesn't make much sense to me.

However, I'm wondering if that 当 isn't supposed to be 等. I can't make too much sense of its presence as it is.
Another possibility is that it's a typo of リア充共[ども]. Anyway, I, either, don't think リア充当 makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom