What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

もの / 度 / から / として / と言って

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Hi,

1. ところが、冷凍技術や保存料の出現、養殖ものの発達な どで、魚屋さんやスーパーに並ぶ魚も変化してきています。

Translation given: "Along with new freezing and preserving techniques, developments in breeding mean that the fish that is arrayed in fish shops and supermarkets has also changed."

Is 養殖ものの発達 = 養殖・もの(物)・の・発達? Assuming yes, does 養殖もの mean something like "breeding practices"?

2. なら、コンタクトを入れて、その上から度のないめがね かければいいじゃない。

Translation given: "Wouldn't it be OK to put in your contacts, then wear a pair of frames with ordinary glass rather than lenses in them?"

a) In what sense is 度 used? I can't seem to find any relevant meaning in the dictionary.

b) In what sense is から used? To me it doesn't seem like the expected "preposition".

3. 長い文になるので、練習の方法としてはA,Bと分けて、A でまず文を作り、次にBの語句を組みこんでひとつの文あ ノする。

Translation given: "Because practice sentences tend to get lengthy, use the following practice method: separate parts A and B. Start by constructing sentences in A, then respectively insert the phrases in B to create new sentences."

a) Does として mean "as/for (a way of practising), ..."

b) In A,Bと分けて, is A the sole object of 分けて, with Bと meaning "from B" (i.e. separate A from B)?

4. その子は留守番をしなければならないと言って怒ってい た。

Translation given: "The boy was cross at having to stay at home."

What is the purpose of と言って here? Does it mean that someone told the boy to stay at home, or would that always have to be と言われて? Could it mean that someone told the speaker about the incident? Or something else?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1)
養殖もの refers to "farmed fishes", and 養殖ものの発達 means 養殖ものに関することの発達. These types of vague expressions are quite commonly used in Japanese sentences, as you've already come across.

6 名詞の下に付いて複合語をつくる。
1 その種類にはいる品物・作品の意を表す。「SF―」「現 代―」
もの - goo辞書

2) a)
4 めがねの強さを示す単位。焦点距離をメートルで表した数の逆数で示す。「近視の―が進む」
度 - goo辞書

b)
コンタクトの上から眼鏡をかける doesn't make sense?

3) a)
Yes.

b)
No. It's same as AとBに分けて.

4)
Simply "quotation". 留守番をしなければならない is the boy's word.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Toritoribe. For some reason I find it hard to remember that もの can refer to concrete nouns. I have made this mistake several times before. I always seem to be looking for a more abstract meaning...

2b) No, コンタクトの上から眼鏡をかける doesn't make sense to me. At least, I don't recognise any familiar sense of から. Translating literally, it appears to me to mean "wear glasses from the top of (one's) contact lenses", which makes no sense. In English it would have to be "over the top of". But can から mean "over"? Is this a meaning that has somehow passed me by?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
This から is interchangeable to に, but から has a nuance of さらに i.e. "in addition/further", compared to に.
e.g.
寒かったので、毛布の上から布団をかけた。

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Right, I do not believe I have seen that meaning before. Or I forgot!

By the way, I do so much appreciate your continuing patience in answering all my questions. I'm afraid progress is still very slow.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
No problem, that's my pleasure. You're definitely improving!

Top Bottom