What's new

みるく坂, 日向が丘 Milk-slope?

Annick

後輩
Reaction score
In a book, about an author we could read this:

多摩市在住。<みるく坂>のある<日向が丘>の家に住んでいる。

I first thought that 日向が丘 could be the name of a building or just the place where the house is, maybe it's just names that the author gave to her place...But maybe it's also something linked to Japanese culture, I don't know. Is it common to give unofficial names to hills or neighborhood in Japan? And is みるく坂 really translated as milk-slope/hill? I don't see anything else than milk. I wondered if it was a reference to mount Fuji since we can see it from Tama city, or maybe it just a reference to anything white.

Annick

後輩
Reaction score
Is みるく坂 is referring to 日向が丘? (I suck at grammar OTL)
no aru, no

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Yes - the author apparently lives in a house in 日向が丘 (the place which has みるく坂)

I think both of these names are fictitious, however. I'm looking on Googlemaps and I can't find any 日向が丘 or みるく坂 in Tama.

日向が丘 would (supposedly) be a section or a neighborhood in the city of Tama. みるく坂 would be a referral point. Kind of like saying he is from Los Angeles in the suburb of Anaheim (where Disneyland is located). It doesn't mean he lives in Disneyland, it just gives the reader another point of reference for what is perhaps an obscure location. Maybe its an allusion to a place in a work of fiction.