What's new

ぼく=僕?

SacredBlue

先輩
13 Oct 2003
I know おれ is usually written 俺,「わたし」と「わたくし」 as 私, but is ぼく usually written 僕 or is it usually left in Hiragana? 教えてください!ありがとうございます
:)

Konnichiwa SacredBlue-san!

Yes, "ぼく" is written "僕" in Kanji, but there is not rules about Kanji or Hiragana. You can write "ボク" in Katakana too if you want.

Of course "ワタシ", "オレ", "ワシ" and "オラ" too.:note:

NANGI

*this very sad* My computer can't read any of that!!! It comes up as "??" or "?????" etc..

ありがとうなんぎ先生!

Actually I was more wondering if it's normal to put it into kanji. For example, you never see ありがとうございます as 有難う御座います。If you were writing a letter, would you yourself put ぼく as 僕? That's what I'm wondering.

:)

I actually came across some statistics recently on the percentage of print advertising using kanji, hiragana and katakana for various name references, Sacred Blue. It was quite interesting so will try to find that a link to that study again and post it this time.

Konnichiwa Ichiro-san! SacredBlue-san!

to Ichiro-san!

I think you need a Japanese fonts on your computer if you want to display Japanese character. Please look this page.
https://jref.com/japanese/
LangTech - Display Japanese characters in your browser | Japan Forum

SacredBlue-san!

If you want to write Japanese sentence politely, I suggest that you should use a lot of Kanji. Because the sentence that is written a lot of Kanji looks politely. But it's a stiff style of writing. If you want to write friendly, I suggest that you should not use a lot of Kanji. I think you don't write a love letter in stiff style of writing.😅

But the most important is the text of a letter but not Hiragana or Kanji.

NANGI

If you have trouble displaying Japanese characters on web pages, try right-clicking the screen, choose encoding, and select Japanese Auto JIS. That may solve the problem of getting gibberish on web pages instead of kanji.

Originally posted by SacredBlue
Wow I never thought of it like that! Thanks a lot :)
こんにちわ Sacred Blueさん!

日本ではボーイフレンドがガールフレンドを「キミ」と呼ぶことがあります。
その場合は、男性も自分自身を「ボク」と呼ぶほうが自然でしょう。
書き方は愛情表現に使われます。 👍

Sacred Blueさん、

それはただ私が経験をしているものです。(That is simply my personal experience/Something I've personally experienced?)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Elizabeth
こんにちわ Sacred Blueさん!

日本ではボーイフレンドがガールフレンドを「キミ」と呼ぶことがあります。
その場合は、男性も自分自身を「ボク」と呼ぶほうが自然でしょう。
書き方は愛情表現に使われます。:cool:

Speaking of which, I remember reading about common personal pronoun co-occurrences. They were as follows: watashi -> anata
boku -> kimi
ore -> omae

Of course, the actual usage depends on the situation, but I believe that these were paired as politeness equivalents (or at least approximations thereof).

Back
Top Bottom