What's new

ほめ / 対 / みられる / 写真を撮る / こう見えて

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi

1. 「男と女とほめ」

As far as I can tell, this is the title of a book, essay, or similar. What part of speech is ほめ? A noun? What is the purpose of the two instances of と? Could they both simply mean "and"?

2. 同社の昨年の対インド輸出は1億ドルに達した。

Translation given: "The company's exports to India amounted to $100 million last year."

Does 対 mean "to" (as in "to India")?

3. どの返答の仕方にも共通してみられることは、何でしょうか。

My translation: "What common features can be seen in all the ways of replying?"

This is a case that I have asked about a number of times before, where the Japanese verb form (in this case みられる) could be either passive or potential, and the natural English translation seems to be passive-potential ("can be seen"), leaving me unsure about which verb form is intended. I think on most previous occasions the Japanese verb form has turned out to be potential (and I know that passive forms are mostly reserved for human subjects).

a) So, is this one also potential?

b) If so, are there any cases where the natural English translation is "can be <verb>ed", and the Japanese verb form is passive?

c) How would you literally translate "can be <verb>ed" into Japanese?

I apologise if I have asked any of these questions before. If I have, I'm afraid I can't locate them or remember the answers.

4. This is a topic for a conversation exercise:

写真を撮るのが上手なのでほめる。

Does this mean that the other person takes good photographs in general, or that they took a specific good photograph? Or could it be either?

上岡 is visiting 足立:

上岡 : お邪魔しま~す。
足立 : いや~、散らかっててね。悪いね~。
上岡 : ううん、そんなことないよ。私のとこよりもきれいなくらい・・・。
足立 : そう?や、こう見えてもさ~。おれって結構きれい好きだからさ。
上岡 : うん、わかる、わかる、ちゃんとしてるよね、足立君って。

My translation:

上岡 : Sorry to disturb you!
足立 : Not at all ... sorry the place is such a mess.
上岡 : That's not true ... it's a lot tidier than my place.
足立 : Really? ... ??? ... I like things to be tidy, you see.
上岡 : Right, sure, sure, you're very orderly.

a) Is what I've got OK?

b) What does こう見えてもさ~ mean? [Edited: Oh, does it mean "It looks that way [i.e. a mess] to me"?]

1. Noun derived from ほめる

2)
Yes. 対 means ~に対する "regarding/concerning", thus, it's "from" for 対インド輸入.

3) a)
Yes.

b) c)
考えられる, 思われる, 想像される, 推測される, 予想される,,,,

4)
The first one, since it's the "present" form 撮る(expressing habit, repeated action).

5) a)
お邪魔します exactly means "Sorry to disturb you", but this expression is used as a greeting when visiting/entering other's house/room.

いや~ is different from いや, i.e., it's not a response to お邪魔します. It's more close to "well".

b)
despite my appearance/unlike how I look/I may not look it, but

1. Just plain old "and"

Back
Top Bottom