What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

ほとんどの / のに / 三人の人 / でしょう

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
1. 出席者のほとんどがそれに賛成しました。

Translation given: "Almost all of those present were in favour of that."

ほとんどの学生がその会に出席しました。

Translation given: "Almost all of the students attended that meeting."

Why is it ~のほとんど in one sentence, and ほとんどの~ in the other? Is there any subtle difference in meaning, or are the two forms interchangeable?

2. 電車の中では携帯で話すことはできませんが、みんな電 車に乗るとすぐメールを熱心に打っているのにはびっくりしました。

My translation: "It's not possible to have a mobile phone conversation on the train, but I was surprised to see that everyone starts intently typing emails as soon as they board."

Looking at のに, am I right that の nominalises the phrase ending いる, and に is associated with びっくりしました, meaning "surprised at" or "surprised by"?

3. 三人の人に毎週一時間ずつ英会話を教えるアルバイトで すが、...

My translation: "I have a part time job teaching English conversation to three people for one hour each per week..."

Why 三人の人? Is the repetition of 人 some grammatical thing to do with counters?

4. 私たちの生活は、どんどん変わっていくでしょう。

Translation given: "Our lifestyle will continue to change rapidly".

While dictionaries tend to define でしょう as "I think; I guess; I wonder; I hope" etc., I come across examples like this where the translation does not carry any sense of doubt or lack of certainty. I asked a similar question before at https://jref.com/threads/つぎであります-のに-でしょう-にはいられない.45228/ , where it was explained that でしょう was "asking light confirmation". Is this the same kind of use? How would you translate the above?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1. 出席者のほとんどがそれに賛成しました。
Translation given: "Almost all of those present were in favour of that."
ほとんどの学生がその会に出席しました。
Translation given: "Almost all of the students attended that meeting."
Why is it ~のほとんど in one sentence, and ほとんどの~ in the other? Is there any subtle difference in meaning, or are the two forms interchangeable?
Those are semantically the same and interchageable. ~のほとんど might sound a bit like written words.

2. 電車の中では携帯で話すことはできませんが、みんな電車に乗るとすぐメールを熱心に打っているのにはびっくりしました。
My translation: "It's not possible to have a mobile phone conversation on the train, but I was surprised to see that everyone starts intently typing emails as soon as they board."
Looking at のに, am I right that の nominalises the phrase ending いる, and に is associated with びっくりしました, meaning "surprised at" or "surprised by"?
Right. That's "the nominalizer の + the particle に". "Surprised at" would be more close to the example sentence. (I would use ~には驚かされた/びっくりさせられた for "surprised by".)

3. 三人の人に毎週一時間ずつ英会話を教えるアルバイトですが、...
My translation: "I have a part time job teaching English conversation to three people for one hour each per week..."
Why 三人の人? Is the repetition of 人 some grammatical thing to do with counters?
Yeah, the first 人 is a counter にん. That's quite the same construction as 3個のリンゴ or 3台の車.

4. 私たちの生活は、どんどん変わっていくでしょう。
Translation given: "Our lifestyle will continue to change rapidly".
While dictionaries tend to define でしょう as "I think; I guess; I wonder; I hope" etc., I come across examples like this where the translation does not carry any sense of doubt or lack of certainty. I asked a similar question before at https://jref.com/showthread.php?p=664666 , where it was explained that でしょう was "asking light confirmation". Is this the same kind of use? How would you translate the above?
No, you can think it a kind of euphemism. どんどん変わっていきます sounds too strong, so we often use the expression such like 間違いなく/絶対に変わっていくでしょう even when there is no doubt. Of course, it also can be said that でしょう is used as future tense("will") here.

eeky

先輩
Reaction score
Of course. For some reason I was thinking さんにんのにん, which sounded a bit odd.

Thanks Toritoribe.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Well, I have to add a correction to my previous post.😌 ~のほとんど and ほとんどの~ are indeed semantically the same and interchageable in the example sentences, but I have realized that they have difference in meaning in another context.
e.g.
火事で家のほとんどが焼けた。
Most of the houses were burned in a fire./Most part of the house was burned in a fire.

火事でほとんどの家が焼けた。
Most of the houses were burned in a fire.

Thus, ~のほとんど can refer to "most part of a thing". There are similar differences between ~の一部/大部分/すべて/全部 and 一部/大部分/すべて/全部の~.

Top Bottom