What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

なく, sentence meaning?

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
1) いっせんの光もなく (long pause) 果てしない暗闇 ・・・

I took this to mean "endless darkness without even a flash of light", but why is it the adverb form of ない?

2) A girl says this to her boyfriend... it's a scene that confuses me in general. She's sort of talking to his spirit or something (though he's not dead, just different to how she knew him.) He makes a remark about humans being weak and fragile, and how small things them make them unable to move. She replies:
じゃあなたはそれでいいの。だってもうもとのあなたに はも戻れないじゃない。
Would the もと be 元? And I'm confused by the ないじゃない. Is it like a "I can't ___ anymore, can I?"

Morphling

先輩
Reaction score
なく, sentence meaning?

なく Is the same as なくて。It is the て form of the adjective ない。

Right about 元, here meaning former.

You are also right about the meaning of the last sentence. "You can't go back to your former self can you?"

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
2)
だってもう元のあなたには戻れないじゃない。 or だって元のあなたにはもう戻れないじゃない。

She said it with the falling intonation, didn't she? Unlike the rising one for confirmation, it's used for a strong assertion here, similar to 元のあなたには戻れないのよ!

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
1) Thank you! 🙂

2) Oops, you're right, it should be もう元のあなたには戻れない, and it was with a falling intonation.
So I guess it's approximately "Then, you're okay, even if you can't go back to your old self again!" I think?
His responses make a little confusing.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
2)
The first sentence is for confirmation.

Then, are you satisfied with that, even though you can't go back to your old self again?

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
Oh... he says humans are weak... etc., and I thought she replied "then you're all right (because you're not really human now.)

Unless it goes further back and he's using as it as an explanation for why someone did that to him. Looking at his next line, that is better, actually. Thanks!

I just want to check I've got the subject of these sentences right. The girl is dying, and she's talking to her friend, who betrayed their other friend (who she is said to have liked.) She knows.
She says to him:
私にとってあなたは彼と同じくらい
大切な人だった
でも私が知っているあなたは
今はもうどこにもいない
明日・・・そんなに遠くない明日
私が好きだった[friend who is there's name]
もう一度だけ会いたかった

Are the lines in bold referring to the friend with her, or the guy who she lost?
And does そんなに遠くない明日 mean "tomorrow (the future) wasn't so far away"?

Morphling

先輩
Reaction score
でも私が知っているあなたは
今はもうどこにもいない
明日・・・そんなに遠くない明日
私が好きだった[friend who is there's name]
もう一度だけ会いたかった

Are the lines in bold referring to the friend with her, or the guy who she lost?
And does そんなに遠くない明日 mean "tomorrow (the future) wasn't so far away"?

The first sentence is talking about the person she is talking to. The clause is modifying 私が知っているあなた the 'you' I know.

The second one is talking about whoever is in that bracket.

And you are correct on the last sentence.

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
I thought it might be that, but that makes me so confused... she was supposed to have been in love with the other guy?

And the "もう一度だけ会いたかった" - she said to the other guy "can I see you one more time?" but it must be about this guy... :?

Oh, wait. I found a (slightly different) written version:

明日・・・そんなに遠くない明日でいいから
私が好きだった[friend who is there's name]に
もう一度だけ会いたい

I'm not sure about the first line, but the rest is:
"I wanted to see the [you] I loved one more time."?

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Probably Morphling-san pointed out that 明日…会いたかった was odd (and I agree with that).

会いたい is the present tense.
もう一度だけ modifies 会いたい, not 好きだった.

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
Sorry, I've not made much sense.
In the audio, she says what is in the first post.

そんな遠くない明日 doesn't really seem to connect to anything.

There's also a document that goes with the audio, with that quote written down, only it's been modified slightly - that's the quote in my previous post. She said "もう一度だけ会いたかった" in the audio but was quoted in the written document as "・・・会いたい" and adds でいいから to 遠くない明日.

Oh, I thought that's what I did? "[I want to see one more time] the [you] that I loved"?

letianchen

先輩
Reaction score
Looks like all your learning material is quite romantic.Lets call the name letianchen 😌, here is my interpretation

私にとってあなたは彼と同じくらい
大切な人だった
でも私が知っているあなたは
今はもうどこにもいない
明日・・・そんなに遠くない明日でいいから
私が好きだったletianchenに
もう一度だけ会いたい

You we're just as important to me as he was
But the you I know now isn't anywhere [in sight]
Tommorow.... Tommorow isn't so far away
Once more I just want to meet the letian chen I loved

I avoided mou in the translation as it sounds a little bit more trippy unless you reword it a bit better.

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
It's by Gackt, it's extremely cheesy. :D

I got the translation (I'm not sure about the でいいから in the written version though, I don't understand what it adds.) I just don't know why it's there or who it's referring to (as in a future with you, or something like that.)

Gackt likes to use the same words over again, and for a while I thought she was talking about the guy she's meant to be in love with who isn't there anymore because a) she said "I want to see you one more time" in the exact same way she had said to him previously and b) she said 好き. It's all thrown me a bit.

letianchen

先輩
Reaction score
Whats the full sentence?

でいいから is kind of like "its alright/good because" usually and in this context its likely the case. If im reading right you said the sentence is
会いたいでいいから , It's alright if we meet because~~

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
That's how I'd read it, but it doesn't... fit to me?

That is the full sentence.

明日・・・そんなに遠くない明日でいいから
私が好きだった[friend's name]に
もう一度だけ会いたい

In the audio, it doesn't even have the でいいから.

letianchen

先輩
Reaction score
Hmm. Actually even though i agree it doesen't kinda fit I think it means that regardless of whenever as long as he can meet that person it will be alright. What I mean is it should be literally "Its alright if tommorow isn't far", but Im thinking this is along the lines of the timing doesent matter because the speaker likes that friend so much that meeting them just once will be fine. Or this could be me watching too many romance movies ( I actually watched one last night )

Or its a typo perhaps.

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
Definitely not a typo. I'm just so confused because she isn't mean to like this guy in that way and it made a lot more sense when I assumed she was talking about the other one. orz; The tomorrow thing, I have no idea. Guess I'll just have to think of something...

時には激しい戦闘繰り返し殺戮のかぎりをつくす

This line, how would you read it? "At times, violent battles repeated, and..." He devoted himself to as much slaughter as possible, or along those lines? He's going over memories.

letianchen

先輩
Reaction score
I think のか is asking a subtle question there. Also I'm actually curious why they use 戦闘 and 殺戮, because the first means a battle and the latter a massacre. Which seems kind of repetetive. It seems like two sentences or two parts
otherwise I can't think of why ぎりをつくす is after のか because thats a question I think

I think ぎりをつくす(義理を尽くす) means to serve duty.

Mabye toritobe can help.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
The speaker is talking about himself and the people he was with, looking back on memories.

Sorry, I should have put the kanji in for that, when I first wrote it down a while ago I was unsure about what I was hearing. :p

Thank you, Glenn!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
そんなに遠くない modifies 明日.

そんなに遠くない明日
tommorow that isn't so far away from now = near future

I missed "the girl is dying" part. If the line "明日…、そんなに遠くない明日" isn't there, 私が好きだった [a name] にもう一度だけ会いたかった makes perfect sense. In this case, the past tense 会いたかった shows that it's an impossible dream/hope/wish.

Just for confirmation, is it really 明日…、そんなに遠くない明日?

時には激しい戦闘繰り返し殺戮のかぎりをつくす

This line, how would you read it? "At times, violent battles repeated, and..." He devoted himself to as much slaughter as possible, or along those lines? He's going over memories.
Yes, your interpretation is correct.

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
Ah, I got that. It's just why she's saying it that's confusing.

That definitely is what she saying - I not only heard it on the audio, but the (official) written document that quotes her says that. It just seems to be a stand alone sentence that doesn't connect to the one before or after it. Even the added bit in the written document doesn't make much sense to me. She is sort of gasping for breath, though... maybe she missed out something?
In the 私が好きだった[name]にもう一度だけ会いたかった part, she misses out the に because she can barely talk.

By the way, can 好き be platonic? I thought it had to do with liking someone in a romantic sense, but the person she's talking to isn't meant to be the person she's in love with.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
This is just for confirmation, since you might misunderstand it. The first half of the quotation

私にとってあなたは彼と同じくらい
大切な人だった
でも私が知っているあなたは
今はもうどこにもいない

all refers to the friend with her.

It that's そんなにくない明日でいいから, it makes sense...

As for 好き, yes it can be platonic, as in 友達として好き, 人として好き.

Rinilex

先輩
Reaction score
Ah, good. I was worried she'd suddenly fallen in love with someone else and confused me even more...

It's definitely 遠くない.

Shall I upload the clip where she's talking? Maybe I've missed something or it'll make more sense if you can hear it.

Top Bottom