What's new

どこよりも / 出世のために / 訴える / 取材

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 今の消費者は大きく二つに分かれる。高級ブランド品を 求める人がいる一方で、どこよりも安いものを求める人 がいる。だから、何も特徴がなく、中途半端な店が一番厳しい状況にある。

a) Does どこよりも mean "from anywhere" (i.e. customers buy cheap goods from any store or manufacturer), or does it mean "more than anything" (i.e. they are concerned about cheapness above anything else)? I would guess the former but I am not 100% sure.

b) I understand 何も特徴がなく、中途半端な店 to mean something like "anonymous no-frills shops", but I don't get 一番厳しい状況にある. What does that part mean?

2. It's been said that there is great rivalry among company employees to gain promotion. Then:

しかし、その一方で、出世のためには手段を選ばないこ とを悲しく思うことがある。

To me this looks like "However, in contrast, (someone) sometimes thinks sadly of the fact that (someone) cannot choose the means of getting on in life". Unfortunately this is not really coherent. What does it actually mean?

3. 木村医師は様々な機会を通じて、伝統的な食事の良さを 訴えてきた。

a) Does 様々な機会を通じて mean "through a series of chance happenings"?

b) In what sense is 訴える meant?

4. 取材はすべて事務所を通してください。直接はお答えで きません。

I thought the first sentence meant something like "Please ensure that the report/survey covers the whole office" and the second "I can't answer personally", but I'm sure I have something wrong since the two do not seem to fit together properly.

1) a)
Yes, it's the former.

b)
一番経営が/商売が厳しい状況にある makes sense?

2)
選ばない is not the potential.
手段を選ばない: to use any means

The subject of 思う might be the writer.

3) a)
through various opportunities

様々な doesn't have a nuance of "a series of".

b)
to appeal

4)
すべての取材は事務所を通して行って(=して)ください makes sense?

Thanks Toritoribe.

3) "Through various opportunities, Dr Kimura has appealed the goodness of traditional meals"? I'm not sure I get it. Does it mean he is promoting the eating of traditional meals through opportunities in the media or something??

I'm afraid I still do not understand (1) or (4) at all well. Would you be able to give me translations of those?

Last edited:
1)
一番厳しい状況にある: to be in the toughest situation

中途半端な店 refers to shops that are neither luxury brands shops nor the lowest-priced shops in this case.

3)
Yeah, in the media, lectures or like that.

4)
取材: interview
通して: through

The speaker would be an entertainer or something, since 事務所 often refers to 芸能事務所 "entertainment agency".

Back
Top Bottom