What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

どこまで and どこまでも

letslearn

先輩
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I often here these terms in songs and such. Does anyone know a site that gives a good explanation of these. I know that the meaning might need context . Also what is the grammar?
I often read 今まで which can mean " until now" or どこから "from where" etc which is pretty clear but どこまで "until where"?

Anyway look forward to your thoughts.

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The basic concept of まで is to indicate the boundary of a range both spatially and temporally. どこまで is asking where the boundary is, whereas どこまでも expresses "wherever the boundary is(= even if the boundary is at anywhere)" since も means "even" here.

letslearn

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Toritoribesan.
I know their very open to interpretation in engliish but..

In this part of a song、it sounds like the person is saying goodbye to a friend etc.. but will hold on to their voice as he walks, he then is asking himself a question "I wonder how far by myself I can reach or get to... etc" as どこまで is like whats the limit or boundary?

さよなら、君の声を抱いて歩いて行く
僕のままでどこまで届くだろう

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Right. "I wonder how far I can reach" is exactly what どこまで届くだろう expresses. 僕のままで means more likely "as I am (now)", i.e., "without changing", though.
どこまで届くだろう changes the meaning to "I will be able to reach anywhere/everywhere (even if how far the place is)".

Top Bottom