What's new

xminus1

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Hello, friends:

This question might seem a bit off the wall, but I've been wondering what the distinctions are between どう and 何. I'm not aware that my Minna textbook addresses this. At first I thought that どう was the equivalent of the English "how" and 何 was "what". I am now beginning to think that どう can also be used to mean "what".

Am I wrong about this?

Is there a rule to determine when either should be used in grammatical contexts?

Thank you!

Toritoribe

禁漁期
Staff member
Reaction score
The point is that words in a language are generally not (well, at least not always) in one-to-one corresponding to words in another language. The meanings are overlapping. For instance, どう often means "how", as you initially thought, so Japanese learners of English tend to mistranslate ~についてどう思いますか as "How do you think about~?" in English. Needless to say, it should be "What do you think about~?". The same goes to どういう意味? vs. "What do you mean?". I learned that it's better to remember as a combination of how/what and a verb, e.g. "what and think", in English class in school days.

xminus1

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Thank you! It's good to have confirmation that there can be an overlap of meaning with these two words. My understanding of the usage will get better as I continue my studies. :geek:

Thanks again.