What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

との question

killerinsidee

先輩
Reaction score
Short question about との. I understand that と + の can be used like 「両親との生活」, however, I was searching for some stuff on alc and I noticed some other usage - 「誰もが経験するような自己の感情との葛藤を経る」.

I'm guessing that it's just a normal "quoting と" and a modifying の, but I'm not really sure. If that's the case, then wouldn't it be the same if replaced by という - 感情という葛藤? And also, couldn't the と just be omitted to get 感情の葛藤? Maybe I'm missing some nuance that と brings here. It's kind of hard for me to tell what exactly it is modifying / to what part of the sentence it's connected to. The noun before it and the whole clause preceding it or something else?

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
It's not the quoting と but here means "with" or in context "against". For example, if you were talking about feelings of anxiety or doubt which were preventing you from doing something.

「誰もが経験するような] and「自己の感情との」could both be interpreted as modifiers on 葛藤.

Another example:
Xの戦い would be "X's battle/fight" or "the battle of X", depending on context.
Xとの戦い would be "the battle against X"

killerinsidee

先輩
Reaction score
Ah, I see. So it's actually similar to the 両親との生活 usage, 感情との葛藤 meaning something like lit. - conflict with emotions?

Since 葛藤 can be modified by 「誰もが経験するような] and / or just「自己の感情との」, I'm guessing that there's no good way to figure out which one it is?

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
I don't think the meaning really changes whether you count it as two modifiers on 葛藤 or the first phrase modifying the second which modifies 葛藤。

Top Bottom