What's new

とてもおもしろかった / 勉強も... / お宅のお花

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 田中 is interviewing 吉田 about a performance on a TV programme:

田中: あれ、とてもおもしろかったですねえ。ビートルズならビートルズていう人間をいろんなふうに扱っていらっしゃっ て。あれ、ずいぶん長くやってらっしゃいましたよねえ 。
吉田: 本当はあれ、15回の予定だったんです。でも 、意外と好評。

I can understand a few parts of this, but overall my translation turned out as total gibberish. Could anyone tell me what the whole thing means?

2. The speaker has just been praised for her daughter's piano-playing skills:

上手かどうかわからないけど、ともかく好きみたいね。 勉強もあの調子でやってくれるといいんだけど。

I believe the first sentence means "I don't know whether or not she's good at it, but she seems to enjoy it."

Then I am stuck with the next sentence. Not really understanding the purpose of も and で is not helping me. Could it mean something like "I hope she studies so she's able to play that tune properly"?

3. A conversation in a flower shop:

A: お宅のお花、持ちがいいわね。夏場はお花も持たな くちゃね~。
B: ああ、ありがとよ。花もあたしも持ちがいいの。経 済的にできてるのよ。

I cannot make much sense of this. This is my guess, which scarcely makes sense, and is most probably totally wrong:

A: Your flowers are lasting well. One must have flowers in the summer.
B: Thank you. The flowers and I are both lasting well. Business is good.

1)
Beetles is an example of people Yoshida treated in the program. He originally intended to do the performance 15 times or of 15 people.

2)
ちょうし【調子】
5 〔やり方〕a way; a manner

こういう調子で書きなさい
Write in this way [manner]./Write like this.
この調子では成功できないね
At this rate he will have no chance of success.
そうそう,その調子
「That's right [That's it]! Keep it up!
調子 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

3)
ありがとう? or maybe ありがとね?

持つ in 持たなくちゃ has exactly the same meaning as 持ち, or rather, 持ち is the noun form of this 持つ.

けいざいてきな【経済的な】
economical(ly)

労力の経済
economizing on labor
このやり方をすれば時間の経済になる
This method will save time.
天然資源を経済的に使う
be economical in our use of natural resources/use natural resources sparingly
いつも経済的にやってきた
I have always been thrifty [frugal].
経済的な - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

Thanks Toritoribe

1. I'm afraid there are still several things about this dialogue that I don't understand. Could you help some more with this?

a) I guess you are translating 扱って as "treated"? In what sense is "treated" meant? I have no clear idea of what type of programme this is, or of Yoshida's role in it. Could it be that he is an impressionist or impersonator?

b) Could you explain a little more about the expression ~なら~ていう? It seems familiar but I cannot exactly remember what it means.

c) Is ずいぶん長くやってらっしゃいましたよねえ talking about the length of time the other person has been doing this work?

d) Does でも 、意外と好評 mean that he originally intended to do something 15 times, but because it was unexpectedly popular he ended up doing it more than 15 times? But not 15 times in one programme, surely? And it seems weird to me for someone to set out with the plan of doing a performance exactly 15 times. There is something about this that I am just not understanding.

2. Sorry, I don't understand it. I looked before at 調子 meaning "manner" or "style", but I cannot make sense of the sentence as a whole. I just get nonsense like "It's OK if even if she studies she does it in that way."

3. It's written as ありがとよ in the book.

A: Your flowers are lasting well. Flowers have to last well in the summer. [why?]
B: Thank you. The flowers and I are both lasting well. I do things economically.

That does not look coherent to me... I believe I am still missing some fundamental aspect(s) of this conversation.

1) a)
The original Japanese is also ambiguous. He might do impressions of Beetles, as you interprited, or talk about them in the program.

b)
I suppose it's ビートルズならビートルズっていう. ~なら~っていう shows that "~" is an example. If it's ビートルズっていう人間をいろんなふうに扱っていらっしゃ って, it means that he treated only Beatles.

c)
Yes. It would refer to the span, not the performance time in a program, since Yoshida answered 15回.

d)
He originally intended to treat 15 people, I think.

2)
あの refers to her(=daughter's) attitude to piano.

I hope she studies like the way she can play/practices piano.

3)
Then, she(=the owner of the flower shop) must be a person who tends to use rude language.

Usually flowers tend to go bad in the summer. It's economically tough to buy it frequently. So flowers have to last well in the summer.

You seem to misinterprit できてる "to be made". That's 花もあたしも経済的にできてる.

Thanks.

1. So, is it right that he originally intended to "treat" 15 people, but ended up "treating" more (probably over a series of programmes) because 意外と好評?

BTW, in the book it is ビートルズていう, no っ, though I actually read it as if it was っていう without really noticing. Is this a typo, or is it valid to omit っ?

2. Would it be reasonable to say she hopes her daughter studies piano with the same enthusiasm/enjoyment as she plays piano?

3. ありがとよ could just be a typo in the book I guess...

I'm sorry, I still have no clear idea what "花もあたしも持ちがいいの。経済的にできてるのよ。" means. In full, how would you translate those two sentences?

Thank you for your patience with these sentences that have proved very problematic for me.

1)
Yes. Another possibility is that he treated a person twice or three times. Anyway, he did the performance over 15 times.

It's just a typo, and the fact that you read it as ニ池ツーニ暖ニ停?ケニ炭窶堙≫?堙??堋「窶堋、 without noticing shows your improvement.

2)
No. 窶「テ冷?ケツュ refers to school studies like Science, Maths, English, etc.

3)
Flowers and I are both cost-effective.

Thanks, I guess the flowers can be cost-effective if they are long-lasting (that's the point?), but do you understand what she means by saying that she herself is cost-effective"? Is she making a joke? It's quite an odd thing to say when put that way in English...

Yes, it's a joke. 持ちがいい is usually not used for people also in Japanese. (持ちがいい connotes "look younger than my(= the owner's) real age", since "long-lasting" is equal to "being still young".)

Back
Top Bottom