What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question としている

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
政府が今月閣議決定する子ども政策の基本方針について、原案の全文が判明した。原案によると、子ども政策を一元的に進める際の司令塔となるこども庁は、2023年度のできる限り早い時期に発足させる。各省庁より「一段高い立場」から、子どもや若者支援、少子化への対処について一元的に企画・政策立案・総合調整を行う、としている

Hi. Could you please explain what kind of usage is the bold としている?
よろしくお願いします。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The meaning "to be about to do/to intend to do" is only applied to "volitional form of a verb + とする".;) (cf. 総合調整を行おうとしている)

The closest definition would be 決定する。選んでそれに決める。 of する.

する【為る】 の解説

(カ) …であると判断をくだす。みなす。また、決定する。選んでそれに決める。「まあ、これでよしとしよう」「友をよき競争相手とする」「出場を取りやめにする」「私は、コーヒーにする」

Thus, the government decides that the functions of こども庁 are like that. The meaning is almost the same as ~となっている or ~としてある, but ~としている emphasizes the existence of the subject.

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi. I have just found this thread, in which としている is used in a similar news reporting context. I think it is the same usage as my op example, but the としている in that link is defined as “to judge and conclude" or "to assume that ~~ is the case".

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It's because "人手不足や景気の回復を背景に、留学生のアルバイトや技能実習生の活用が進んでいる" is the MHLW's conclusion, as written in the reply. On the other hand, it's the contents of a draft of the government's basic policy in your example. That's why I chose "decides".

~としている (or ~となっている, ~としてある) refers to the contents of what is written (or said), so the translation differs depending on the context.

the government's conclusion
日本政府は「北朝鮮から弾道ミサイルとみられるものが発射された」と発表した。「日本の領域には飛来せず、日本のEEZ(=排他的経済水域)内にも落下しないものと推定される」としている。

the Chinese Foreign Ministry's policy
中国外務省は法律を順守する外国企業は歓迎され、保護されるとしている。

the cabinet decision
安倍政権のもとで最後となる「経済財政運営と改革の基本方針」いわゆる「骨太方針」が7月に閣議決定された。
今回の方針では、新たな医療・社会保障改悪を明記することはできなかった。コロナ下で国民批判を浴びることが明らかなためであろう。
しかし一方で「骨太方針2018・骨太方針2019等の内容に沿って、社会保障制度の基盤強化を着実に進め」るとしている。

Top Bottom