What's new

ところ / にも / じゃ / 長く / 速くへ行って / あなたのこと

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. 新潟は米の生産が多いところだ。また、米から造られるお酒にもおいしいものが多い。

My translation: "Niigata is a place where much rice is produced. Also, many delicious things are made from the rice, including / in addition to sake."

a) In the first sentence, does ところ refer to 新潟?

b) In the second sentence, is something like "including" or "in addition to" a reasonable translation of にも?

3. この程度のお金じゃ長くは持たないだろう。

Translation given: "This sum of money won't go far."

a) Does じゃ (では) mean something like "with (this sum of money)"?

b) Is 長く behaving like a noun? I'm trying to make 長くは持たない mean something like "(I) won't keep (this amount of money) for long", but I'm not sure if that works, and I can't figure out what は is doing in the middle of it. I recall that I may have seen a structure like this before, but I can't locate it now.

3. たとえ速くへ行ってしまっても、あなたのことは・・・

This is an exercise in which the student is asked to complete the sentence in a sensible way. There is no other context.

a) I thought the first part meant something like "Even if (you/I/etc.) hurry there", but I'm a bit put off by 速くへ行って and the fact that the target of へ seems to be an adverb. I'm wondering if I've misparsed it.

b) Although I know the general meaning of しまう, I'm not exactly sure what sense しまって is adding here、

c) What is あなたのこと likely to refer to here?

d) What would be a typical completion and typical circumstance in which this sentence might be said?

1) a)
It's not a pronoun but a common noun "place", as in your translation. It can be rephrased as 米の生産が多い場所, 土地, 県 etc.

b)
This もの is a pronoun, i.e., 酒. It means 米から造られるお酒の中にもおいしいお酒が多い.

3_1) a)
That's a kind of conditional, similar to この程度のお金だったら.

1 危惧・不都合などの感情をもたらす条件を仮定して示す 。…たら。「けが人が出―大変だ」「死んではなんにも ならない」

b)
長く is an adverb. は is used as a contrastive marker; (短い期間なら持つけど)長くは持たない.

3_2)
Isn't it たとえ遠くへ行ってしまっても?

b)
~てしまった expresses "regret".

c)
You can think it's just あなた(を). こと indicates the target of emotion/action, as in 君のことが好き.

3 心情や動作の向かっている対象。「君の―が好きだ」「 家族の―を大切にする」
「こと」の検索結果 - Yahoo!辞書

d)
(Even if you go far away,) I never forget you.

Back
Top Bottom