とあります?

jellyjello

後輩
27 Jun 2012
Today is the first time I have seen a sentence end with とあります。

Is it same as であります or があります?

The sentense is:

「横書きの書き方にはコンマを用いるとあります。」

This とあります really surprised me because I haven't seen it in any grammar books.

No. It's not the same as であります nor があります. It's an idiom, meaning ~と書いてあります in that case.

14 特定の語句と結び付いた形全体で、種々の意味を表す。
①(引用の「と」を受けた「とある」の形で)…と書い てある。…という。…ということだ。「メモには午後二 時に来社すると―・る」「命令と―・ればしかたがない 」「死んだと―・ればあきらめもつく」
ある - goo辞書

横書きの書き方にはコンマを用いるとあります。

I'm not totally understanding this. Is 横書きの書き方 the name of a book or something?

It would refer to a chapter, I suppose. I think the writer is talking about くぎり符号の使ひ方(句読法) by 文部省.

1946年(昭和21年) 3月に当時の文部省教科書局調査課国語調査室によって 発表された「くぎり符号の使ひ方(句読法)」(案)の 「主として横書きに用ひるもの」中で「テンの代わりに コンマを用ひる」と定められたのが始まりである。

公用文作成の要領 - Wikipedia

I see. But that apparently didn't last long, because as far as I'm aware, 点 is used in both 横書き and 縦書き.

Today is the first time I have seen a sentence end with とあります。
Is it same as であります or があります?
The sentense is:
「横書きの書き方にはコンマを用いるとあります。」
This とあります really surprised me because I haven't seen it in any grammar books.☝
When the need to be completely objective in communicating information on data or materials overrides the importance of specifying the particular nature of the rendering *「~と述べられてあります」 「~と記されてあります」「~書いてあります」etc.* I suppose とあります is useful.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

I see. But that apparently didn't last long, because as far as I'm aware, 点 is used in both 横書き and 縦書き.
A unifying standard of 『。』 and 『、』 for both 横書き and 縦書き was not taken up until the late 1950's I believe but there were so many political considerations with American influence at the time, it would be very interesting to be able to put the Basic Sentence Rules and Punctuation Rules all in a bit more context. :)

Back
Top Bottom