What's new

"そう" and negative questions

Rascalking

後輩
22 Jan 2011
Hi guys,
A couple noobish questions from someone who really isn't. I'm just trying to get a clear explanation for some vague grammatical things that books don't cover much.
First off, そう。I'm aware that it usually means in some shape or form, "so" or "that way/manner".
そう? = Is that so?
そうだ = That's right.
それはそうだった? = Was that so?
そう思う。= I think so.

But I'm still not sure if Im comfortable with all it's uses. For example, I frequently hear people say "そうする". Does this translate pretty much
into "I will do so"? Are there other verbs you can use it with? Also, can you use it in a sense where one/something is the same as somone else said? For example,
Person 1 : "僕は英語の先生です"
Person 2 : "ぼくもそうです"。
Anything I'm missing here?

As for my second question. I'm just looking for a little clarification on negative questions and if any negative word with a question tone can be turned into a negative question.
For example:
これじゃない = Not this
これじゃない?= isn't it this?
何も言わない = I won't say anything
何も言わない?= won't you say anything?
Is this the case for everything? I kno in some cases, it's the same as inviting someone to do something, so I'm trying to be careful. If anyone can help me out I'd be most appreciative! Thanks in advance!

For example, I frequently hear people say "そうする". Does this translate pretty much
into "I will do so"?
Yes. そうする basically means "I'll do so/that".

Are there other verbs you can use it with?
There are many verbs which can be used with そう, as same as verbs with "so" in English; "そうなる become so", "そう言う say so", "そう見える seem so", and so on.

Also, can you use it in a sense where one/something is the same as somone else said? For example,
そう refers to 英語の先生, thus, ぼくもそうです literally means "I'm so(=an English teacher), too".

As for my second question. I'm just looking for a little clarification on negative questions and if any negative word with a question tone can be turned into a negative question.
For example:
これじゃない = Not this
これじゃない?= isn't it this?
Is this the case for everything?
Basically, Yes. The meaning/nuance could be changed depending on the context, though. (For instance, これじゃない? can mean "Do you mean this is not the one?")

I kno in some cases, it's the same as inviting someone to do something, so I'm trying to be careful.
When the verb is a volitional verb and the speaker is also the doer, it means an invitation. ("How about you do something with me/us?")
e.g.
映画見に行かない?
Would you like to go to a movie (with me)?

But I'm still not sure if Im comfortable with all it's uses. For example, I frequently hear people say "そうする". Does this translate pretty much
into "I will do so"? Are there other verbs you can use it with? Also, can you use it in a sense where one/something is the same as somone else said? For example,
Anything I'm missing here?
In the situation of agreeing with your companion, 私もです is also quite common.

Me, too. は「「私も(そう)です。」というように、相手に同調して言うときに使うことができます。。

For example:
これじゃない = Not this
これじゃない?= isn't it this?
Is this the case for everything? I kno in some cases, it's the same as inviting someone to do something, so I'm trying to be careful. If anyone can help me out I'd be most appreciative! Thanks in advance!
And watch the cooking ! A funny example: If somebody you are eating with asks 「これ、おいしくなくない?」 I don't even think most Japanese could agree with full confidence on a correct interpretation.

Because 「ない?」 at the end of a question sentence tend to invite confusion. As you know, it could indicate literally a double negative "asking a question" (It isn't good ?) or conversely have an "inviting" meaning (isn't it not good ?). Similar to English, a falling tone denotes a statement, and a rising tone a question.

Is this 「これ、おいしくないよね (It's not good.)」or 「これ、おいしいよね (It's good.)」 :p 🍜 :sorry:

これ、おいしくなくない(a young people's dialect) is ALWAYS used for confirmation/asking agreement with a rising intonation.;-) おいしくなくない/おいしくなくないよ/おいしくなくはないよ can be barely used with a falling intonation as the answer to the question これ、おいしくないよね?, but まずくないよ/おいしいよ is far more common for the case.

Yeah, indeed, I, too, am at a loss how to answer the example questions the students threw at Naka Riisa in the video.:D

Back
Top Bottom