What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

するとして

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
Hello,

éµé-é+é¦!04_041.jpg
ジャンボ:あとはおいおい説明するとしてエサだな (middle left panel)

From time to time I go back and read よつばと and this time I encountered the above sentence. I am not sure what this として means.

a) Is it the same として as the one I asked about here? (3. 残りの女神を見つけるとして・・・どうやって・・・ ? ).
My understanding now is that this AとしてB settles A as the premise under which B is said => "Under the premise that I will explain the rest gradually, let's do the bait now."

b) And is the following the dictionary definition for this meaning? (為る(スル)とは - コトバンク)
❹ 決める。 ⑥ (「…とすれば」「…にしては」の形で)…であると仮定する。…と一応決める。 「いま生きているとすれば三〇歳になる」 「小学生にては背が高い」

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
It's more likely the definition 4-3.

3 (動詞の終止形を「と」で受けて、また、名詞を「と」「に」で受けて、「…とする」「…にする」の形で)それまでの動作を打ち切って新たな動作にとりかかる。 「そろそろ寝るとするか」 「お昼だからご飯にしましょう」

The nuance is closer to #4-1 ことにする rather than としたら in your previous thread you linked.

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
It's more likely the definition 4-3.
That makes more sense. Then, I think it also falls under this definition for として? (として(トシテ)とは - コトバンク)
② 話題をそのままに放置しておく気持ちを表す。 「それはそれ-、本題に入ろう」 「詳細はあとで報告させること-、質問を続けてください」

Also, the second example in this definition uses こととして, but I assume こと can be dropped, like in my example?

The nuance is closer to #4-1 ことにする rather than としたら in your previous thread you linked.
Back then, you said "The speaker is asking the way to find them if/when he accepts the plan. ". And it makes sense, but if the meaning is closer to #4-1, where does "if" come from? Just from the ~て form?

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
That makes more sense. Then, I think it also falls under this definition for として? (として(トシテ)とは - コトバンク)
② 話題をそのままに放置しておく気持ちを表す。 「それはそれ-、本題に入ろう」 「詳細はあとで報告させること-、質問を続けてください」
Yes, and also #2 in デジタル大辞泉.

2 それまでの話の内容をひとまず保留して、別の話題に移る意を表す。「仕事はいいとして、からだのぐあいはどうだい」

Also, the second example in this definition uses こととして, but I assume こと can be dropped, like in my example?
Yes.

Back then, you said "The speaker is asking the way to find them if/when he accepts the plan. ". And it makes sense, but if the meaning is closer to #4-1, where does "if" come from? Just from the ~て form?
You seem to be misunderstanding my explanation. I said the one in this thread 説明するとして is closer to #4-1 than 見つけるとして(=見つけるとしたら/見つけるとすれば) in your previous thread, which means "if". This is the answer to your question b.

raikado

先輩
Reaction score
Ahh, yes, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the 見つけるとして in the previous thread was closer to #4-1 and that's why I was confused.

It's all good now. Thank you very much!

Top Bottom