What's new

じ Which one is "Ji" ぢ

I'd say stick to じ because I see that one used most. Either that or you'll just have to remember which one to use for which words.
I see, I'll ask my teacher too see if theres a way to find out witch one to use
Actually I believe the second one was given as "di" in an arachaic romanization system (Nihonshiki?) and that character is no longer used much if at all so it isn't really an issue. Where do you get these answers SacredBlue? ;)
Never been a fan of Romaji... but I only speak from experience because it's all I can trust. Of course I'm far from perfect :p

Oh and I have a few textbooks I looked at that also have ぢ listed as a ji syllable.
I have had folks tell me the ち" sounds more like zi. But almost no one uses it anymore. Granted this exchange was at an enkai, so take it for what it is worth...
Only it is after all entered as "di" on a Japanese keyboard, SacredBlue, based on a former pronunciation/romanization scheme in the same way (I believe) that "wa" was once upon a time "ha" or "o" and "wo."
I still see "wo" used as the d.o. marker.

The Kunrei system still does funny things like "tu," "si," "ti," etc.
The character じ is most often used in kana writing. ぢ is used rarely. Like for example in the word ちぢむ which means to shrink.
I hope this information helped you. :)
The same situation comes up with with "zu" (ず) as well, which can be taken from both "tsu" (つ)(the old fashioned way as in enpitsu and tsuzukeru (?) and some others I can't remember at the moment -- and which I don't even know how to display the kana for ;)) and "su"(す).
Yeah, (づ) and (ぢ) are usually used either within a word that reduplicates the (つ) or (ち) sounds, also in a compound kanji word where the end of one character changes the beginning sound of the next.
Although they evidentally are not integral to too many kanji compounds anymore...and where is zuu (tenten つ) on the keyboard? ;)
Top Bottom