What's new

し (end of sentence)

raikado

先輩
29 Oct 2012
Hello,

I've been reading よつばと! for a bit, and I noticed that sometimes sentences end in し, but it's not obvious what the continuation should be. For example:

a) Yotsuba and her father eat ramen at a shop. The owner gives Yotsuba an extra egg for free. After they leave the shop she says:
よつば: うまかったなー!
父さん: おまけもらった
Why does he use し here?

b) Yotsuba just finished playing in the rain. Please see the picture:
Untitled.png

風香 said (in small text): "納得してる!?長靴イミない".
Is she saying "Those boots have no meaning, so why does she think they are necessary?"?

In both cases し means "besides", but in (a) it has a connotation of "on top of that/what's more"

a) So, this し indicates an enumeration and not a cause/reason? (I mean this definition:⒈前に述べる事柄が、後に述べる事柄と並列的、対比的な関係であることを表す。し[接助副助間助]の意味 - goo国語辞書)

b) Thank you! You mean something like "She understands!? Besides, those boots have no meaning."?

Last edited:
She is expressing surprise that the girl is satisfied with such a flimsy excuse as her father not having boots being a reason not to go play.

Noticing the girl pouring water out of her boots (whose purpose is to keep her feet dry), her next thought is a continuation building on the first... it isn't as though the boots did any good.

You can see the logical disconnect between (1) accepting that he has no boots to keep his feet dry as an excuse and (2) that the boots didn't serve their purpose anyway.

Sometimes this usage of し will work out similar to the English "it isn't as though X" or "(negative statement) anyway".

Also, Fuuka didn't say those things, she only thought them. Notice that they aren't in a speech bubble.

Thank you for explaining it in so much detail. That's kind of the impression I got from "besides", but now it's all perfectly clear.

I've got one more example. Yotsuba and her father are on their way to a デーパト.
Capture.png
父さん:ならねーよ 泣かねー
とーちゃん超強いからな
Is this し used the same way as it was used for (a)? So, the translation would be "I won't get lost. And I won't cry. Because I'm super strong"

At first I assumed that "泣かねーし とーちゃん超強いからな" was a single sentence, but now that Lomaster told me what (a) means, the above translation makes much more sense.

Correct.

I think part of the problem we have when we first learn this usage is that we are taught that し is used at the end of two or more phrases, indicating a kind of "listing" functionality. As you can see, though, in actual colloquial usage it is quite common for it to appear once, with the other instances either replaced by another particle or simply left to be inferred.

I think it's because I learned it as "AしB", but here it was "A。Bし。". And I thought that any し at the end of the sentence would be ⒊(終助詞的に用いて)一つの事実・条件を言いさし、結論を言外に暗示する意を表す。.(し[接助副助間助]の意味 - goo国語辞書)

Thank you both for your help!

Back
Top Bottom