What's new

します vs しています

nalo6451

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just looking for some clarification on a couple of things. Firstly, my understanding of the difference between the two phrases is します= (to) do and しています = doing. If this is correct, would this mean that:

こうこうのとき、にほんごをしっていましたか = Were you doing Japanese during highschool?
こうこうのとき、にほんごをしましたか = Did you do Japanese during highschool?

Secondly, if this is correct, it would seem in many instances these phrases are interchangeable (though I can also imagine instances in which one would be appropriate and not the other), right?

Thanks.

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Is "do X in school" antipodean English for "study X in school"? If so, direct translation isn't going to work; you'll need to use "study" or "learn" instead of "do". (べんきょうする or ならう).

Also, する changes to して, not しって (which would be an entirely different word).

Give it another whirl. You're on the right track.

nalo6451

Kouhai
Reaction score
Ooh I think I was way off here lol.

The textbook phrase is "こうこうのとき、にほんごをしっていましたか" which (I think) is "Did you know Japanese during highschool"??

I'm guessing to ask "did you do (study) Japanese during highschool?" would be "こうこうのとき、にほんごをべんきょうしましたか", and to ask "Were you studying Japanese during highschool" would be "こうこうのとき、にほんごべんきょうしていましたか"?

Mike Cash

骨も命も皆此の土地に埋めよう
Reaction score
Ooh I think I was way off here lol.
Consider it an object lesson in the importance of attention to the little things. A recurring theme when learning Japanese.

Well done.