What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

こんなことしてどういうつもり!?

Astralogic

後輩
Reaction score
こんなことしてどういうつもり!?

This is a quote I'm trying to understand. The last part, どういうつもり, seems simple enough, "What's his plan/ What's he up to" sort of thing.

This is said by a character in a game after defeating an enemy that ejected and escaped. Could こんなことして mean "doing such a thing" IE referring to the ejection?

So if my thinking is right does it mean something like "Why would he do such a thing?!"

Thanks
Astralogic

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Are you confusing どういうつもり with どうするつもり / 何するつもり, maybe? どういうつもり is asking the addressee's intention of why they did, i.e., "What's the meaning?". Thus, こんなことしてどういうつもり!? means "What does he mean by doing such a thing?" (So, "Why would he do such a thing?!" is not wrong in the end.)

Astralogic

後輩
Reaction score
Are you confusing どういうつもり with どうするつもり / 何するつもり, maybe? どういうつもり is asking the addressee's intention of why they did, i.e., "What's the meaning?". Thus, こんなことしてどういうつもり!? means "What does he mean by doing such a thing?" (So, "Why would he do such a thing?!" is not wrong in the end.)

The whole thing confuses me lol :)

I don't fully understand the sentence, どういう is very hard for me, in fact msot things with いう confuse me :D

At least I got the gist of the sentence though, thanks for the input.

Top Bottom