What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

これそれあれ & このそのあの

JoJo

後輩
Reaction score
こんにちは!質問があります

これそれあれ from what I've found are used for when you don't know the name of an item. However, there's the well known sentence "これはペンです。" Then you have この which requires a noun to be right next to it so.... このキャラはいくらですか?ご百円です。So... The "no's" have to have the noun next to them but the "re's" don't require nouns but can be used with nouns?.... I just don't understand that part for some reason. By the way, feel free to correct any mistakes in regards to my Japanese. Thank you all for your time and I appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
the "re's" don't require nouns but can be used with nouns?
Not really. これ, それ, あれ and どれ work as a pronoun, so they can't be used with nouns.
Here's a related thread.

JoJo

後輩
Reaction score
Not really. これ, それ, あれ and どれ work as a pronoun, so they can't be used with nouns.
Here's a related thread.
Alrighty, I think I've got a decent understanding. I have just one question. Why do I hear/see ”これはペンです。” so frequently? I know it's kind of a joke so does that mean that that sentence is nonsense and I should ignore it?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The most common English sentence Japanese junior high school students learn firstly in English class is "This is a pen". That's the Japanese translation of it.

JoJo

後輩
Reaction score
The most common English sentence Japanese junior high school students learn firstly in English class is "This is a pen". That's the Japanese translation of it.
Ahhh, makes perfect sense now. I knew that was the translation but I didn't realize that that's one of the first sentences they learn. Thank you for the clarification! Now I can continue with my studies haha.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom