What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

ことだというのだから

zuotengdazuo

後輩
Reaction score
F4C43512-EB52-476B-9DE8-E7D656C92193.jpeg

Hi. Is the underlined part a set phrase? I have found an explanation here. Does it apply to my example?
「A + というのだから + B.」 expresses:
"Since they say A, (which was unexpected, surprising, etc.), I now must conclude that B."
Thank you.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see why there's a need to interpret this as a set phrase. It's just the standard use of という as hearsay ("They say [or someone said] that the way to do this is by...") followed by the explanatory/contextual の(だ), then the conjunctive から. The difference between というから and というのだから is that the latter has a more strongly explanatory nuance.

(This is why learners are often encouraged not to overuse のだから in speech, as it came come off as unusually/uncomfortably forceful. If ちょっと急いでいるから is "I'm kinda in a hurry" 急いでいるんだから is closer to "Can't you see I'm in a hurry!?")

In this written example, obviously, this doesn't apply, and it simply serves to emphasize the reason for 士道's reaction. In this case, 士道 seems to find the idea a bit daunting, but I don't think there's anything in the use of というのだから itself that explicitly demands that the thing described be unexpected or surprising.

As for the link with the person describing it as a set phrase, I think the idea they were trying to convey is that there are cases where という doesn't literally carry the meaning of hearsay but is just more of a rhetorical flourish. In this case, however, it seems pretty clear that this is something 士道 has heard from someone else.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Yeah, I, either, don't think that's a set phrase. The meaning indeed can be "I don't fully agree with it, but~", but it differs depending on the context after all.
e.g.
彼がそう言うのだから、多分そうなんだろう(I don't fully agree with it, but it would be so.)
彼がそう言うのだから、そうに違いない(I totally agree with it.)

As bentenmusume-san suggested, even キスをすることなので can have a similar nuance in your example.

Top Bottom