What's new

くろしつじ and きいろのなな - Adjective problem!

AmayaSakurai

後輩
16 Aug 2010
I need some help with understanding the reason why these two adjective are used in this way.

くろしつじ ( a manga I'm readin) means "Black Butler". Why isn't it くろいしつじ? I was taught that くろ alone stands for BLACK as a noun, and that くろい stands for BLACK as an adjective. So why is it used as just くろ here?

きいろのなな - This is from the VS Arashi show. They call out the colour and number of blocks that they want to use. So, in this show, きいろのなな refers to a block which is yelow in colour and has the number 7 on it. My question, why the の??? Why don't they say きいろいなな?

Obviously understanding adjectives completely will take a little more time for me.... >.>

I appreciate all help!
:)

くろしつじ ( a manga I'm readin) means "Black Butler". Why isn't it くろいしつじ? I was taught that くろ alone stands for BLACK as a noun, and that くろい stands for BLACK as an adjective. So why is it used as just くろ here?
黒[くろ] can work as an adjective, as in 黒髪[くろかみ]; "black hair", 黒猫[くろねこ]; "black cat". However, its nuance is often different from 黒い. 黒い just a description of a thing, but 黒 is often used for a specific usage. For instance, 黒い砂糖[さとう] simply means "black sugar/sugar whose color is black", whereas 黒砂糖[くろざとう] refers to "muscovado". I don't know about the anime/manga 黒執事[くろしつじ], but it might be from 黒魔術[くろまじゅつ], i.e., "black magic", just my impression.

きいろのなな - This is from the VS Arashi show. They call out the colour and number of blocks that they want to use. So, in this show, きいろのなな refers to a block which is yelow in colour and has the number 7 on it. My question, why the の??? Why don't they say きいろいなな?
It's not just "yellow seven/seven whose color is yellow" but more likely "seven in the yellow group/area". That's why の is used here.

黒[くろ] can work as an adjective, as in 黒髪[くろかみ]; "black hair", 黒猫[くろねこ]; "black cat". However, its nuance is often different from 黒い. 黒い just a description of a thing, but 黒 is often used for a specific usage. For instance, 黒い砂糖[さとう] simply means "black sugar/sugar whose color is black", whereas 黒砂糖[くろざとう] refers to "muscovado". I don't know about the anime/manga 黒執事[くろしつじ], but it might be from 黒魔術[くろまじゅつ] or "black magic", just my impression.

It's not just "yellow seven/seven whose color is yellow" but more likely "seven in the yellow group/area". That's why の is used here.
Thank you very much! That was a lovely explenation! ^.^

Back
Top Bottom