What's new

が / で / いやあ / といえども

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hi,

1. 昼下がりになって、車窓から見える丘陵風景が霞むほど の雨が振りだした時、通路でまた足音がした。

Although I can understand what this is saying, I can't quite grasp the grammar structure of the middle phrase. The が after 丘陵風景 seems to be in want of a verb, or some kind of resolution that never comes. How does this structure work?

2. 両方とも筋肉隆々の肩幅ガッチリ体型で、クラッブのほ うが背が高く、鍋底カットのヘアスタイルで太い首。

Again, I can gather the meaning of this easily enough, but I'm unsure of the grammar "... で太い首" at the end. Is で the -て form of だ? Is it saying

クラッブのほうが鍋底カットのヘアスタイルだ

and

クラッブのほうが太い首

?

3. いやあ面目ない。穴があったら入りたい心境だよ。

What is this いやあ? Is it a variant of いや (嫌)? If so, I don't really get the double negative. Or is this a rhetorical ない that doesn't actually express a negative? Basically I just do not get this sentence at all ...

4. 貧しいといえども彼女は幸せだ。

Do you think ども should be でも? Or is this the expression といえど plus も?

1)
丘陵風景が霞む

2)
クラッブのほうが背が高く、クラッブは鍋底カットのヘアスタイルで、クラッブは太い首(をしている)。

Only the height is compared.

3)
いやあ
[感]
1 驚いたとき、恥ずかしいとき、てれくさいときなどに用いる語。「―大変だ」「―どうもすみません」
いやあの意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書

"Oops" would be close here. The speaker failed something, is ashamed of it and apologizes about it.

4)
The latter.
いえでも is wrong. It should be いっても for the same meaning.

Thanks, sorry I somehow misread (1); it is obvious.

2) Are the following valid sentences by themselves?

クラッブは鍋底カットのヘアスタイルだ。
クラッブが鍋底カットのヘアスタイルだ。
クラッブは太い首。
クラッブが太い首。

How do you know that クラッブのほうが.. doesn't govern all the things that follow? (This part of the text is comparing クラッブ's appearance with that of another boy.)

3) So, what is 面目ない? Does it mean 面目がない?

2)
Depending on the context, yes.

鍋底カットのヘアスタイル can't be compared ("Which one more 鍋底カット is" doesn't make sense). クラッブのほうが太い首をしている can be valid, but the interpretation クラッブのほうが背が高く、クラッブ鍋底カットのヘアスタイルで、クラッブのほうが太い首をしている is not common. Furthermore, クラッブのほうが首が太い is preferred for comparison, as same as クラッブのほうが背が高い. クラッブは太い首をしている is almost the same as クラッブのほうがもう一人より首が太い in meaning in that context, though.

3)
面目ない is almost a set phrase. This expression often connotes the nuance of "I'm sorry".

面目ないの英語・英訳 - 英和辞典・和英辞典 Weblio辞書

Right, I didn't know that "... ほうが ..." always had to correspond to "more ..." in English. I thought you could say クラッブのほうが鍋底カットのヘアスタイルだ just to show that he had that hairstyle as distinct from another person mentioned.

In that case, the order of the words must be 鍋底カットのヘアスタイルのほうがクラッブだ. This ほう means "one side of a pair", not "more".

In that case, the order of the words must be 鍋底カットのヘアスタイルのほうがクラッブだ. This ほう means "one side of a pair", not "more".
Aha, thanks. I wasn't aware of this distinction.

Back
Top Bottom