What's new

が誇る / を誇る / 最強を誇る

18 Jun 2014
Hi guys, I need your help.
For almost 2 years, I'm working on a translation project of Saint Seiya - the classic series -, and there is a doubt that is consuming me all this time, and I didn't find any kind of example, explanation or lesson about this subject.
My doubts concern the expressions が誇る (ga hokoru), を誇る (wo hokoru), 最強を誇る (sakyou wo hokoru or simply "sakyou hokoru").
I'm doing my translations and quality checks with support material from some sources, like the official english subs which ADV Films did til episode 60, Azn Anime fansubs til episode 52, or Viz official english translation from the manga, in which I compare with the original tankobons, since Viz could make mistakes, ignore some stuff, and the anime dialogue will not be always like the manga script. Plus, of course, I use my own japanese knowledge and a LOT of research, transcriptions, jisho.org, etc.
But back to the matter itself, none of the said translations considered this word/expression. I'm tring to do the best revisional work on this series and trying to be the most literal as I could, but there is just no reference about this subject.
Hokoru is described always as "to boast of; to be proud of" (which is the verb, right?), but the "pride" noun itself isn't "hokori" (誇り)?
But couldn't it be 誇る translated as "pride", when you use te particle が ?
As the jisho describes, one of the possibilities is "2: indicates possessive (esp. in literary expressions)" when searching for "ga".
And "something to be proud of" isn't something that gives you pride and therefore being YOUR pride itself?
Well, more than receiving explanations, if it's possible, I would like you guys lend me a hand on 3 sentences I will show you from this series. I will start from the most troublesome one for me:
Saint Seiya Episode 015 - Watch Saint Seiya Episode 015 online in high quality 05:25
In which I would transcribe as
ましてセイントの中でも最強誇るフェニックスのクロス など演れん
mashite seinto no naka demo saikyou hokoru phoenix no kurosu (Cloth) nado yaren
(Little explation: "Cloths" in the Saint Seiya universe are the armors of the constellations in which the Saint warriors use to protect themselves).
The current translation to this sentence is
-I also won't give you the strongest pride among the Saints, the Phoenix Cloth!
But I know that the "mashite" isn't trannslated in this sentence, and since the character says "yaren", I'm in doubt of which one these options should I use:
況して まして 1: (Usually written using kana alone) still more; to say nothing of; not to mention;
2: (Usually written using kana alone) still less (with neg. verb)
Also, I'm in doubt with the "nado" in this sentence. What does it indicates? I thought about this word as "such" in this sentence. Or "nado yaren"?
等 など 1: (Usually written using kana alone) et cetera; etc.; and the like; and so forth;
2: (indicating an approximate quote or vague suggestion) or something;
3: (lessening the significance or value of the previous word) the likes of
I thought about some possibilities for this sentence:
-Not to mention, I won't give you the Phoenix Cloth or whatever, which is given only to the strongest of all the Saints. -> Nado yaren? is "or whatever" correct?
-Not to mention, I won't give you the Phoenix Cloth, which is the pride among the strongest Saints.
-Not to mention, the Phoenix Cloth is the pride among the strongest Saints. I won't give you it or whatever!
Well... As you can see, I'm really in doubt to what is this 誇る about, or what the about 最強 makes reference? The pride or the Saints? And my など演れん try as "I won't give you it or whatever!"? Is it right?
I would really thank you if you clarify me those doubts, since this expression appears here and there in this series.
And taking the opportunity to ask about more uses of 誇る , I would like to ask you if those translations are right, and if the translation of 誇る is right on them:
Saint Seiya Episode 005 - Watch Saint Seiya Episode 005 online in high quality 01:52
-However, the pride of the Dragon Cloth, the strongest fist and shield, were both destroyed...
Saint Seiya Episode 100 - Watch Saint Seiya Episode 100 online in high quality 21:39
-Athena's Saints, take a good look...
-...at the true power of the strongest ones among the Marinas, the proud Generals!
(this one was made without any other reference and just by pure knowledge, since there is no official translation for episodes above 60)
Sorry for any bother and thank you so much for any help!
PS 1: Those videos at KissAnime are badly subbed with "Hong Kong english subs", so don't mind it.
PS 2: I was in doubt about posting this here or in the "Translations" board, but since I'm asking for more than just a translation request, I'm posting it here.

誇る is a verb, not a noun "pride", in all those examples. Thus, が is the ordinary subject marker, not a possession particle.

ドラゴンのクロスが誇る最強の拳と盾
(lit.) the strongest fist and shield the Dragon Cloth is proud of

As for the first and last examples, see the following explanation.

ほこる【誇る】
2 誇示すべき状態にある。また、そのことを名誉に思う。「輝かしい実績を―・る」「長い歴史と文化を―・る都市」
ほこる【誇る】の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書
ほこる【誇る】
2 〔すぐれた状態にある〕
当時平家は栄華を誇っていた
At that time the Heike [Taira] clan was at the height of its power.
この町には世界最大を誇る製鉄工場がある
This town has [is famous for] the world's largest ironworks.
ほこる【誇る】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

セイントの中でも最強を誇るフェニックス
Phoenix who is the strongest among the Saint warriors
マリーナの中でも最強を誇るジェネラル
the Generals who are the strongest among the Marina warriors

Your translations of まして, など and やれん are correct. The kanji 演 is wrong, though. 演る means "to act/perform/play", not "to give".

It...
誇る is a verb, not a noun "pride", in all those examples. Thus, が is the ordinary subject marker, not a possession particle.
ドラゴンのクロスが誇る最強の拳と盾
(lit.) the strongest fist and shield the Dragon Cloth is proud of
As for the first and last examples, see the following explanation.
...and it...
この町には世界最大を誇る製鉄工場がある
This town has [is famous for] the world's largest ironworks.
...gave me an idea! Contextually, in another dialogues from this series, they used another words to express "famous" (which I can't remember now), and this Cloth/Armor is famous for possessing the strongest fist and shield of the series.
I've never thought before about this translation possibility for 誇る !

So could I translate it as "the strongest fist and shield the Dragon Cloth is famous for" as the example you've shown me?

セイントの中でも最強を誇るフェニックス
Phoenix who is the strongest among the Saint warriors
マリーナの中でも最強を誇るジェネラル
the Generals who are the strongest among the Marina warriors
So, in this case, the only option for 最強を誇る is to express in english only about they being the "strongest" ones among (insert something here)? There isn't a way to express in english something more related to 誇る? Because I only see here 最強 being literaly expressed.
Your translations of まして, など and やれん are correct. The kanji 演 is wrong, though. 演る means "to act/perform/play", not "to give".
Ok, but I'm still in doubt... Would it be right to translate it as "I won't give you it or whatever!" (I tought it sounds "badass", since it's the "evil" sensei of the character humiliating his disciple). And the やれん as "won't give" is right?
So... Would it be right to say "the Phoenix Cloth ...blah blah blah... I won't give you it or whatever!"?
Thank you so much for aswering my doubts, I have no way to express my gratitude to you! 😄

In English we use "boasts" similarly:

"Eastbourne is a seaside town, which boasts a five-mile Victorian promenade."

So it is possible to say "boasts the greatest strength", but it may not be natural as a translation. You should worry less about getting every word in the Japanese represented by some word in English, and more about making sure the whole thing flows and gets the meaning across.

Strictly speaking, やれん is negative potential, so it's "I can't~".

Hm, I see. And since this sentence doesn't have another verb besides this, we translate it as "won't give", right?

So, for what I asked you above, about the "strongest fist and shield", is ir right to translate 誇る as "famous for"?

And the last one, for などやれん, would it be right to say "the Phoenix Cloth ...blah blah blah... I won't give you it or whatever!", being the "it or whatever" a reference to など?

Thanking you for being answering my questions, Toritoribe!

In English we use "boasts" similarly:

"Eastbourne is a seaside town, which boasts a five-mile Victorian promenade."

So it is possible to say "boasts the greatest strength", but it may not be natural as a translation. You should worry less about getting every word in the Japanese represented by some word in English, and more about making sure the whole thing flows and gets the meaning across.

Thanks nekojita! You helped me with this point of the doubt. I didn't realize this possiility of translation, because I was insisting with the "proud"~"pride" thing and, even at jisho.org, the first meaning it gives to you is "to boast". Plus, to detach 最 and 強, and translating it as "greatest strength". =)
I know that keeping the flow in a translation is important, but since it's a dialogue from quite an unrealistic series, I'm trying to translate mostly of what the characters says.

Back
Top Bottom