What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

かねん/ 伺う / おおおん / なおも

Yzlot

先輩
Reaction score
Hi. I have a few questions that I hope someone could check over. I have provided additional context just in case.

1. あいつらにつける隙与えかねん。
Is かねん here the かね particle with the added ん particle for familiarity?

2. 「お話は伺っております。 しかし何も、こちらでわざわざ寝泊りしていただかなくとも、当日になれば、こちらから宿舎へ案内役を向けますものを」
伺う appears to be used commonly in humble speech. I wanted to know if there might be more than one possible meaning in this sentence. (I get the feeling 伺う does not substitute 聞く in meaning here)

3. おおおん、と、周囲をぐるり取り囲んだ人々の声ひとつひとつが、うねりとなり、津波となり、あらゆる角度から打ちのめしにかかるかのようだった。
Is おおおん the sound for 'cheering'?

4. ジンが後ろに飛び退く。
ジン、跳躍してなおも距離を稼ごうとする。
a) Does なおも always modify the action following it?
b) 飛び退く and 跳躍する both seem to imply "jump back" in these two sentences. Is 飛び退く an exaggerated motion, whereas 跳躍する is a calculated motion?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
1)
つけいる隙を与えかねん?

It's a negative of a second compound verb ~かねる.

かねない【兼ねない】の英語・英訳 - 和英辞書 - goo辞書

2)
伺う is used as a humble verb of 聞く there. It also can be a humble verb of 尋ねる/問う/訊く or 訪ねる/行く other than 聞く.

3)
It's more likely the sound of roaring.

4) a)
Yes.

b)
飛び退く means "to avoid by jumping". It's neutral in the sense of direction (thus, you can use 前に飛び退く). Whereas 跳躍する just means "to jump". It often connotes "upward", though.

Yzlot

先輩
Reaction score
Thanks Toritoribe.

跳躍する just means "to jump". It often connotes "upward", though.
That was what I was thinking as well. I still find it puzzling how the author chose to word this, since normally a person is unable to distance himself/herself after jumping 'upwards', without jumping in the given direction.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The previous sentence 後ろに飛び退く already gave the direction, so 跳躍してなおも距離を稼ごうとする means that ジン jumps backward and upward. (Even if he jumps just upward, the distance between the place he was at and him becomes elongated, though.)

Top Bottom