What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

かかっている

letianchen

先輩
Reaction score
What does it mean in this sentence? The context is people analyzing a crime scene. Please tell if more info is needed.

12月19日から27日。。この間に今分かっているだけで都内周辺で指名手配犯や前科者罪の疑いがかかっているだけのも者23人が心臓麻痺で亡くなってます。

My attempt

From december 19th to december 27th... During this time we knew that there were wanted criminals and those with former criminal records in the Tokyo metropolitan area, but there was doubt in the actual crimes ( of these people). Among these people we know that 23 of them died of a heart attack

please tell me how to translate the red. BTW does tsumi no utagai here mean that it was still doubtful that those people ( the ex convicts and wanted people) actually committed the crimes?

EDIT: 疑いがかかる is a set phrase meaning = to be suspected?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
今分かっているだけで(adverbial clause)
指名手配犯や前科者、罪の疑いがかかっているだけの者(も)23人が(subject)
亡くなってます(verb)

Yes for 疑いがかかる, and no for your interpretation about the relation among 指名手配犯や前科者、罪の疑いがかかっているだけの者. Also, your translation lacks the nuance of だけで, even if that's a free translation.

letianchen

先輩
Reaction score
Hmm I think I understand, how about

From december 19th to december 27th, a total of 23 wanted, former and suspected criminals in the tokyo metropolitan died in the area of heart attacks. And that is simply just the victims we know about.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Probably you mean "a total of 23 wanted, former and suspected criminals died of heart attacks in the Tokyo metropolitan area"?

罪の疑いがかかっているだけの者 means "those who are just suspected", i.e., it suggests the possibility that they might not be even a criminal is higher than just 容疑者 "suspects". He needed to kill even those people.

I would translate 今分かっているだけで to "even limiting what we know now".

Top Bottom