What's new

~うち(に) usage

UsoToChinmoku

後輩
31 Jul 2014
Could you please tell me which of the following are grammatical/ungrammatical and how do they differ in nuance?
The main point I'm interested in is the difference between dictionary form + うち(に) and progressive form + うち(に)

「(モンスターが)蘇ってるうちに逃げよう」
「(モンスターが)蘇ってないうちに逃げよう」
「(モンスターが)蘇るうちに逃げよう」
「(モンスターが)蘇らないうちに逃げよう」

Other examples that come to mind:

「冷めないうちに食べて!」
「冷めてないうちに食べて!」

「あいつが食べるうちに逃げよう」
「あいつが食べてるうちに逃げよう」

Last edited:
~しないうち has the same meaning as ~する前. The main point in your former example is "before the monster revives", so #4 蘇らないうちに is the most appropriate.
#1 is also valid. It's used when the monster is reviving (has already started to revive and hasn't finished reviving yet).

~するうち is more likely for repeated action/movement.
e.g.
初めはおいしいとは思わなかったが、食べるうちにその味に慣れていった。

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the explanation.

1) So I suppose, the negative progressive form + うちに is logically unfeasible in the same way as progressive form + 前に? I have a general idea on why it's unfeasible, but I'm not sure I grasp it 100%, could you please elaborate on that?

2) #3 is wrong because 原形+うちに is supposed to be used for repeated action/movement only? Or is there any other reason why it doesn't fit?

1)
~しないうち/~する前 refers to a temporal point; when the action/movement starts or finishes (it's different depending on the verb.)
e.g.
雨が降らないうちに/降る前に: before it starts raining
モンスターが蘇らないうちに/蘇る前に: before the monster finishes reviving

~している is "period", not "point", that's why ~していないうち is usually not used. In fact, ~しているうち is the same as ~している間 "during", not "before/until".

~していないうち can be valid in some cases. For instance, 雨が降っていないうちに can be used in a situation where it's almost always raining. In these cases, うち means "during" (e.g. 雨が降っていないうちに = 雨が降っていない間に). However, it's more common to use ~しているうち with a verb opposite in meaning instead of ~していないうち.
e.g.
雨が降っていないうちに/間に --> 雨がやんでいるうちに/間に
モンスターが蘇っていないうちに/間に --> モンスターが封印されているうちに/間に

So, ~していないうち is not so common, anyway.

2)
As you must know, the dictionary form of action verbs can't express the present state. The dictionary form is basically for repeated action, present habit or like that. In other words, "the dictionary form of state verbs + うちに" is valid. This うちに means "during", as same as ~しているうちに.
e.g.
時間があるうちに行ってくる。
親がいるうちに孝行した方がいい。
話ができるうちに、彼女に話しておきなさい。

Back
Top Bottom