What's new

あって / でも / とれた / 決まった / 単純なことが多い

eeky

先輩
8 Jun 2010
Hello,

1. このスープは辛みがちょっとあっておいしい。

Is this あって from ある (有る), and does the sentence mean "This soup has a little salt/spice/etc. and is delicious"?

2. Person A has indicated that he would like to talk to person B. Then person B says:

あの、何のお話でしょうか。何かまちがいでもしたんで しょうか。

My translation: "Well, what did you want to talk about? Have I made a mistake or something?"

Is "or something" OK for でも here?

3. 彼女は均斉のとれた姿をしている。

Translation given: "She has a well-proportioned figure."

Which verb is とれた? What is its literal meaning here?

4. 今年の春地元の大学を卒業して大阪のデザイン会社に就 職することが決まった。

Is this saying that the author decided to look for work at a design company in Osaka, or does it mean that it was decided/settled that she would work there (i.e. she had actually got a job)?

5. The author has discovered an old school essay in which she said she wanted to run a bakery when she grew up. Then:

一般的に子供がその職業にあこがれる理由は単純なこと が多い。だから変わるのは当然だ。それに、大きくなる にしたがって、だんだん現実を見るようになるから夢を 持ち続けることは難しいのだろう。

My translation: "The reasons why children are attracted to this profession are generally very simplistic. Therefore, it is natural that things will change [i.e. as one gets older and more sophisticated]. Also, as one becomes older, one gradually comes to see things more realistically, so it is difficult to hold on to one's dreams."

Is this OK? One of the things that worries me slightly is that I don't know what happened to 多い. Originally I had "There are many simple reasons why children are generally attracted to this profession." To me, this seems more faithful to the Japanese, but the word "Therefore" then doesn't make sense because the first sentence is not a reason for the second.

What's the way out? Sorry, I feel I am overcomplicating this.

1)
Yes. 辛い is mostly used for spicy.

2)
Yes.

3)
An intransitive verb 取れる.

均整/均斉のとれた: well-balanced/being in good balance.

[7] 調和した状態になる。うまく釣り合う。《取》

うまくバランスが―・れている

均整の―・れた体

〔補説〕 「取る」に対する自動詞

「とれる」の検索結果 - Yahoo!辞書

4)
The latter. ~ことに決めた is for the former.

5)
ことが多い is more likely "often" than "many". Thus, your translation "generally" works fine here. :)

Back
Top Bottom