What's new

ようにして

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
すると途端に十香が身に纏っていたドレスが、端から空気に溶け消えていく。
かと思うと、それと入れ替わるようにして周囲から光の粒子のようなものが十香の身体にまとわりつき、別のシルエットを形作っていった。
数秒のあと、そこには、先ほど道を歩いていた女子生徒と同じ、来禅高校の制服を着た十香が立っていた。

Hi. I have learnt that ようにして can mean either ~やり方で/方法で or "as if". I'm not sure which is the intended meaning of the underlined ようにして. I think either is OK. What do you think it means?
Thank you.

I think it's the former since the cloths are really exchanged. However, "as if" is not wrong, either. まるでそれと入れ替わるように also makes sense. It's the problem of the readers' interpretation, I think.

I checked ~ようにして in a corpus, and confirmed that all examples mean "in the way/manner of".

As for ~ように without して, I actually don't think there's a significant difference in meaning between "as if/like" and "in the way/manner of" when ~ように is used as a simile. The difference between "as if/like" and "in order to" is more critical in this expression, I think.

Thank you for the supplementary explanation.
I checked ~ようにして in a corpus, and confirmed that all examples mean "in the way/manner of".
But according to some threads in other forums, it seems that 〜ようにして can mean "as if". Maybe this expression is rarely used in this sense? :unsure:

This is one example I found:
彼を抱き寄せるようにして

link removed

It is not a complete sentence, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The basic idea of the -te form of verbs is to express the state/situation after the action is done/completed, therefore ~ている form means "to be(いる) in the state/situation after the action is done/completed".

The continuous usage of the -te form is also from this function. "Aて、B" expresses "the action A is done/completed, and then B". Thus, ~ようにして means "the action is done/completed as if/like ~, and then...". See the following examples in google search results.

気づけば晶の腕はシューラの背に回っていて、自分から彼を抱き寄せるようにしている。
突然耳元で聞こえたその声に、彼はハッとする。野太い声。彼を抱き寄せるようにして、絡みついてくる毛髪。
彼の髪の毛を撫でながら彼を抱き寄せるようにして、彼と唇を重ねました。

The subject really embraces his body in all the the three cases (the first one is not a clause though). Thus, it's "in the way/manner of".

Unlike AようにB (e.g. 入れ替わるようにまとわりつく), Aようにして is a single action. Thus, "the action is done/completed as if/like ~, and then..." is the same as "~ is done/completed, and then...", and it's also the same as "in the way/manner of~" in meaning as a result. That's what I meant.

Hi. Could you help me with a simple question here?
Can ように also mean "in the way/manner of", just like ようにして? For example,
僕たちは道路脇の東屋の下で、向き合うように立っている。
Thank you.

Yes, that's exactly what's happening here.

Given that ようにして is just ように followed by する, this isn't particularly surprising, is it?

Back
Top Bottom