What's new

もまた

4 Apr 2014
I've been getting an increased amount of もまた recently, and started wondering about the nuance behind もまた as compared to simple も

Sometimes it's merely も+また as in too+again like such: ブドリのおとうさんもおかあさんも、たびたび薪を野原のほうへ持って行ったり、冬になってからは何べんも大きな木を町へそりで運んだりしたのでしたが、いつもがっかりしたようにして、わずかの麦の粉など もって帰ってくるのでした。それでもどうにかその冬は過ぎて次の春になり、畑にはたいせつにしまっておいた種も播かれましたが、その年もまたすっかり前の 年のとおりでした。(this year too, winter was followed by spring again)

But other times it feels like too+again but more like "furthermore/on top of that/to make matters worse" kind of again like in:
さらわれて行方不明であった妹ネリは兄との再会を果したあと幸せな結婚をし、子供も生まれるのに、ブドリはなぜか結婚のそぶりさえみせない。みつかった両親の墓も立派なものに建て直し、心に何のわだかまりもなく火山局の技師として「ほんとうに楽しい」五年間を送ったのだから、ブドリもまた結婚を考えても何の不
思議もないのだが、物語は右の出来事を語ったあと、急転直下、冷害から死へのブドリの道ゆきを語るのである。(on top of that Budori also started considering marriage)

Am i getting this second type of もまた right? Are there more other ways of using もまた?

また【又/亦/復】
[副]
2 ほかのものと同じ状態にあるさま。ひとしく。同じく。「息子も―父親と同様、学者だ」
また【又/亦/復】の意味 - goo国語辞書

また【又】
2 〔同じく〕also; too
順子は美しかったが,圭子もまた美しかった
Junko was beautiful, 「and so was Keiko [but Keiko was beautiful, too].
又の英語・英訳 - goo辞書 英和和英

It's just an emphasized "too/also".
(すっかり前の年のとおり doesn't mean "winter was followed by spring" in the first sentence, by the way.)

It's just an emphasized "too/also".
(すっかり前の年のとおり doesn't mean "winter was followed by spring" in the first sentence, by the way.)
It doesn't. 冬は過ぎて次の春になり does. Didn't mean to do a direct translation, just tried to put "too" and "again" into the same sentence. But since また has nothing to do with my "too+again" speculation, it becomes irrelevant. So it's just to emphasize 同じく. Got it. Thanks, Toritoribe!

Even when また means "again", your interpretation that また modifies その冬は過ぎて次の春になり CAN'T be correct because of the position of また. その年もまたすっかり前の年のとおりでした shows that また modifies すっかり前の年のとおりでした, and therefore I thought you were misunderstanding the meaning of the clause. The position of また must be それでもまたどうにかその冬は過ぎて次の春になり, それでもどうにかまたその冬は過ぎて次の春になり or それでもどうにかその冬は過ぎてまた次の春になり for your interpretation. You made double mistake as a result.

My interpretation is that すっかり前の年のとおり = 冬は過ぎて次の春になり. So while technically また would modify すっかり前の年のとおり logically it can be applied to the fact that winter was followed by spring (once again).

No, your interpretation is wrong also in that point, as I suspected. すっかり前の年のとおり refers to;
お日さまが春から変に白くて、いつもなら雪がとけるとまもなく、まっしろな花をつけるこぶしの木もまるで咲かず、五月になってもたびたび霙がぐしゃぐしゃ降り、七月の末になってもいっこうに暑さが来ないために、去年播いた麦も粒の入らない白い穂しかできず、たいていの果物も、花が咲いただけで落ちてしまったのでした。そしてとうとう秋になりましたが、やっぱり栗の木は青いからのいがばかりでしたし、みんなでふだんたべるいちばんたいせつなオリザという穀物も、一つぶもできませんでした。野原ではもうひどいさわぎになってしまいました。
, thus, the terrible year happened again, not just winter and spring comes again. (Therefore a famine occurred in the autumn of this year.)

Oh. Now that's funny. Actually i thought i was copy-pasting a fragment from later in the book, when normal change of seasons was back on track. So my capital mistake was posting something before reading it thoroughly. How embarrassing. Sorry for the confusion i caused. I pledge to double-check everything i copy-paste from now on.
So my interpretation should have been すっかり前の年のとおり = disastrous year.

Yes, that's right.👍

EDIT:
In addition, you need to notice that an adversative conjunction 播かれました is used there. If a normal year comes again, unlike the terrible year, 播かれましたから/ので is used instead, and the particle should be その年また for contrast.

Back
Top Bottom