What's new

"ぶつかり合う闘気" & " 夕闇に染まる惑星Zi"

30 Jul 2019
I was having some trouble trying to translate these two phrases, but I do think I have a general idea as to what they're supposed to mean.

"ぶつかり合う闘気": I think this is supposed to be something like "clash of fighting spirits." I believe this is meant to be taken metaphorically as there aren't literal fighting spirits battling each other, instead I think it's meant to be a battle between two determined competitors who are full of fighting spirit.

"夕闇に染まる惑星Zi": Unless I'm mistaken, I think "夕闇" can be read as either twilight or dusk. Initially I thought it was supposed to be read as "Planet Zi in the twilight," but it might instead be more akin to something like "Planet Zi dyed in twilight?" I'm fairly sure that the context is just it being sunset time on the planet or whatever particular part of the planet someone happens to be on at the time.

Additionally, I was also curious to know, is there any sort of difference between saying "陰謀," "企み," & "計略" or are they all basically just different ways of saying the exact same thing? I've seen them all translated into the same batch of similar words (conspiracy, plot, plan, intrigue, stratagem, etc.) but I wasn't sure if any of them had some sort of inclination towards a specific word depending on what characters were used or anything like that.

I think you are right for both ぶつかり合う闘気 and 夕闇.
夕闇に染まる is an idiomatic expression, so whether or not you want to translate it word-for-word and end up with a slightly poetic English phrase, or whether you want to shift to some other similar idiomatic English expression (losing the poetry of the Japanese expression in favor of more natual English lucidity) is up to you. Could work either way depending on the context.

陰謀、企み, 計略 > yes these are different ways of expressing some plan (with nefarious intent). Conspiracy is a near perfect (one-for-one) translation for 陰謀, whereas 企み could be something as innocent as planning a surprise party for a friend. It all depends on the context.

Back
Top Bottom