What's new

ってかもしれねえ

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
824C3D4C-BDB0-449A-87DF-1137EBA45D78.jpeg

Hi. Why is 濡れてっかも... used here instead of 濡れたかも...? Usually かもしれない should be preceded by ル form or タ form?
Thank you.

This isn't the -て form but rather just a transcription of a vowel elision.

Just like 濡れているのか can become 濡れてんのか in colloquial speech, 濡れているかもしれまない can become 濡れてっかもしれねえ (the difference in the contracted form is because of the following vowel sound).

So this is not some unusual case of the -て form preceding かもしれない, but just 濡れているかもしれない in a contracted/spoken form.

Yeah, it's just a contraction of 濡れているかもしれない in colloquial/slangy speech, but the difference is from the following consonant sound (k vs. n);).
e.g.
濡れているから --> 濡れてるから --> 濡れてっから
濡れているけど --> 濡れてるけど --> 濡れてっけど

濡れるから --> 濡れっから
濡れるけど --> 濡れっけど

濡れているなあ --> 濡れてるなあ --> 濡れてんなあ
濡れているね --> 濡れてるね --> 濡れてんね
濡れているのに --> 濡れてるのに --> 濡れてんのに
濡れているんだ --> 濡れてるんだ --> 濡れてんだ (Notice that it's not 濡れてんんだ.)

*濡れるなあ --> 濡れんなあ
*濡れるね --> 濡れんね
濡れるのに --> 濡れんのに
濡れるんだ --> 濡れんだ (It's not 濡れんんだ, either.)
* Note that these two contractions are less common than the rest probably because it's confusing with a negative ん.

Also note that the negative form "pre -nai form of verb + ない" can be contracted to "pre -nai form of verb + ん", but "-te form of verb + ない" can't be "-te form of verb + ん" in standard Japanese.
e.g.
うまく行かない --> うまく行かん
×うまく行ってない --> うまく行ってん

あんまり食べない --> あんまり食べん
×あんまり食べてない --> あんまり食べてん

Thus, you can think "-te form + ん + 'n' sound" is the contraction of "te form + る + 'n'".

Sorry, of course I meant "following consonant sound", not "vowel". (After all, there is no "following" vowel sound. I guess that's what I get for posting right after I wake up. ;) )

I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.

(edit: Whoops. I guess it's too late to edit. Sigh. That's very embarrasing and frustrating. I'll try to be more careful about such slips of the fingers in the future...)

Back
Top Bottom