What's new

こととなった

zuotengdazuo

Sempai
8 Dec 2019
半身を夕日に照らされた少女は、見る者の思考能力を一瞬奪ってしまうほどに、神秘的。
だが、その完璧にも近いワンシーンは、すぐに崩れることとなった

Hi. I know こととなった is the same as ことになった. And I know ことになる usually means "end up with" and has two nuances: 1) it's been decided that... and 2) cause/come to mean that... But in the topic sentence, the pattern doesn't seem to have these implications. Could you explain what こととなった means and what the function of it is here?
Thank you.

I know ことになる usually means "end up with" and has two nuances: 1) it's been decided that... and 2) cause/come to mean that...
I don't know where you got it from, but it's just ~に/となる can have those nuances.

I don't know where you got it from, but it's just ~に/となる can have those nuances.
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. I got it from my textbook and I know ~に/となる can have those nuances. But I'm asking about the meaning and function of ことになった in the topic sentence, because it doesn't seem to have those nuances in that sentence?
The next sentence is 少女が士道の侵入に気づき、目を完全に開いてこちらを見てくる。
The girl noticed that Shidou (the protagonist) came into the classroom and she opened her eyes fully and looked towards him.
So the こととなった means 士道's invasion caused the perfect scene to crumble?
But according to my textbook, when ことになる is used in the sense of "to cause", it is usually used in a conditional sentence and the なる is in dictionary form.
e.g.
そんなことをしたら二度と人前に出られないことになる。
So could you explain it in your own words?

So the こととなった means 士道's invasion caused the perfect scene to crumble?
Yes, that's right.

according to my textbook, when ことになる is used in the sense of "to cause", it is usually used in a conditional sentence and the なる is in dictionary form.
As you wrote, the explanation in your textbook is for ことになる. ことになる is usually for conditional or future, whereas ことになった is usually for past or result.

そんなことをしたら二度と人前に出られないことになる
If you do such a thing, it will cause a situation "you can't appear in public again" (= you won't be able to appear in public again).

そんなことをしたから二度と人前に出られないことになった
Because you did such a thing, it caused a situation "you can't appear in public again" (= you became unable to appear in public again).

Because 士道 came into the classroom and the girl noticed it, the almost perfect scene crumbled. Makes sense?

Incidentally, "usually" is not the same as "always". ことになる can mean "to cause". For instance, the following sentences have the same meaning and the same nuance as the original.

だが、その完璧にも近いワンシーンは、すぐに崩れることとなる。
少女が士道の侵入に気づき、目を完全に開いてこちらを見てきたのだ。

As for ~となる vs. ~になる, it's said that the former focuses more on the result of the change, and the latter is more on the process of the change. Also, となる sounds more classical/formal, but they are interchangeable in most cases.

Hi. Could you please have a look at the following text?
時計の数字から影が漏れ出た瞬間、狂三の左目の時計が恐ろしい速さで正方向に回った気がしたのである。
だが、その疑問は、すぐ頭の中から追い出されることになった
「な......」
真那の怪訝そうな声が、士道の耳に届く。この位置からでは真那の表情は窺い知れないが、恐らく士道と似たような顔を作っているに違いなかった。
狂三が、左手に握った短銃の銃口を、自分のあごに押し当てたのである。
「一体何をーー」 真那の言葉の途中で、狂三はニヤリと笑うと、何も躊躇うことなく引き金を引いた。
ドン!という音が辺りに響き、狂三の頭部がぐわんと揺れる。どう見ても、自殺したとしか思えない光景だった。
だが。士道と真那は一瞬あと、その感想を強制的に訂正させられることとなった

Are the two underlined parts the same usage as the op example?
1) is like "because of some reason, it caused the situation 'this question was quickly driven out of his head'."
2) is like "because of some reason, it caused the situation 'Shidou and Mana immediately corrected their way of thinking'."
Right?
Thank you.

Yes. And the reason is often explained right after the sentence, like 「な......」 真那の怪訝そうな声が、士道の耳に届く。. The description "狂三 is not dead" follows the last sentence, right?

Back
Top Bottom