あげる or くれる

healer

Sempai
13 May 2019
先生がこれを学生にくれる。
From student's point of view.
友達が父にいいことを教えてくれた。
From dad's point of view.

Are the following grammatically correct if we look at from the other person's point of view for the same meaning?
先生がこれを学生にあげる。teacher'a
友達が父にいいことを教えてあげた。friend's

I understand a third person gives to a third person one should use あげる regardless of the seniority between the giver and the speaker. The two examples given at http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/favors somewhat threw me.

The link to Tae Kim's site doesn't work well in you post. Are you referring to the following page?

Here's a thread regarding あげる and くれる (and もらう).

The point is which, the giver or recipient, the subject is and the relation among the speaker, giver and recipient.

先生がこれを学生にくれる。 shows that the student(s) is/are the speaker's in-group member(s). In other words, the speaker thinks they are closer to the student(s) than the teacher. On the other hand, 先生がこれを学生にあげる。 is neutral (when the speaker is closer to the teacher, あげる is used, too).

As for 友達が父にいいことを教えてあげた。, 父 can't be the speaker's father. It's usually impossible to any speaker that they has a friend who is closer than the speaker's father. 父 would be interpreted as the friend's father in this sentence, as same as 彼は妹に花を買ってあげました in the thread I linked above.

The link should be Giving and Receiving – Learn Japanese.

Thanks for the explanation on 先生がこれを学生にくれる. It helps.

I've gathered from what you said that 友達が父にいいことを教えてあげた is completely grammatically wrong. I did learn that before and I just forgot until you reminded me, in that family member being a receiver from someone outside the family being a giver くれる is always used. I apologize I just got carried away.

I've gathered from what you said that 友達が父にいいことを教えてあげた is completely grammatically wrong.
That's not grammatically wrong. 父 can be the friend's (or someone's) father in the same situation as 彼は妹に花を買ってあげました. 父親 is more common in this case, though.

父親 is more formal/academic/objective. お父さん is not used to refer to one's father in wikipedia, for instance.

The following extracted from Giving and Receiving.
これは友達に買ってもらった
About this, received the favor of buying it from friend.

Does it actually mean the friend did me a favour of buying it for me?
Does it also mean the favour was only the action of buying and I would have to reimburse or whatever the friend bought was a present for me?

Yes, it's possible that the speaker paid money and the friend only did the action "buying" (e.g. The friend lived in Japan, and the speaker who was not in Japan asked him to buy an item sold only in Japan. The speaker sent money to him.)

In addition, it's also possible that the speaker was the seller, and the friend bought a thing from the speaker. 買ってもらった suggests that the speaker wanted to sell it.

the speaker was the seller, and the friend bought a thing from the speaker. 買ってもらった suggests that the speaker wanted to sell it

Wow, this is completely different meaning. In this sense もらった was not receiving a favour but actually receiving some physical thing from the speaker, wasn't it?

What is the meaning of 友達に then, from a friend or by a friend? I can't get my head around it. I'm trying to fit this in with the new meaning you suggested.

In this sense もらった was not receiving a favour but actually receiving some physical thing from the speaker, wasn't it?
Not really. It's the same favor. The speaker received a favor of buying. The only difference from the rest two is just that the speaker is the seller in the last case. The favor is "favor of buying from the speaker (and it's for the sake of the speaker)", whereas the rest two are "a favor of buying from someone else for the speaker".

What is the meaning of 友達に then, from a friend or by a friend?
に indicates the doer/agent of the action in the expression "personに~てもらう", and they did it for the speaker in all cases.

Back
Top Bottom