What's new

Comparing airlines

Chipi

Yancha
10 Mar 2003
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm placing this to the right place, but I'm asking your opinion:

I've had two offers for flight tickets between Helsinki and Osaka (KIX), they're both for over 3 months (->=six months tickets).

The first one is from Lufthansa and the price is about 935 euros.
The another one is from Japan Air Lines, and the price is about 1150 euros.

Which one would you recommend and why?
I've had experience with Lufthansa, but not with JAL. I just checked their webpages and it seems like JAL has excellent service, the seats look very comfortable etc, but is it true or does it make that big of a difference?
I didn't like Lufthansa that much the last time, but I guess it's ok. I'm just thinking that maybe I should "invest on comfort" since the flight is going to take about 14 hours.

Feel free to share your experiences, and also recommendations for some other airline companies... 🙇‍♂️

WOOOOW 935 竄ャ !!!! that's very much ☝ ...I think my airplane ticket will cost about 850 to 900竄ャ...and I'm from Belgium... ☝

Mine will cost 670$ and I am coming from Louisiana, U.S. To Narita... Try checking some websites like CheapTickets.com or something... I will be either American Airlines or Delta, and my flight is around 17 hours

i try to stay up for 20-24 hrs before the trip
by then i'm too tired to care about comfort
would choose jal, but that's primarily cause i suspect that they run things (delta airlines counter in japan are the jal employees @ that airport -- i've watched them change the signs/placards out)

Hi Chipi !

Flights to Osaka might be more expensive than to Tokyo, but you should be able to find flights around 500-700 euro from Europe to Tokyo. If you are on a budget and can't find cheaper from Helsinki (which is strange, as it's the nearest from Japan, and I heard that Finnair flights were some of the best deals with Lufthansa), then fly to London or Paris and get a connection to Tokyo for less than 500 euro from there, then take a night bus to Osaka for 35 euro.

playaa said:
Mine will cost 670$ and I am coming from Louisiana, U.S. To Narita... Try checking some websites like CheapTickets.com or something... I will be either American Airlines or Delta, and my flight is around 17 hours
Including tax mine will be close to $900 on United from Chicago to Narita (close to 12 hours) because I wasn't able to make the reservation soon enough and now seat availaiblity is too limited for advertised rates to apply. :(

From Philadelphia, it's currently around $1,100 round trip (coach) to Narita. Prices tend to fluctate something awful. Last August when I visited Japan (and had a great time), I flew round trip for $846.00 on American. I liked that carrier as they have more leg room, a must for tall folks (I'm 6-2) like me! 🙂

Chipi said:
Which one would you recommend and why?

Since you live in Finland and want to go cheap, why don't you try Aeroflot? They serve Tokyo and Osaka via Moscow for about 660 Euro. No sweat, they use Western aircraft. 😌

I have personally settled for Alitalia. They serve Tokyo/Osaka from Rome and Milano and charge approx. 730 Euro including a connecting flight from another European destination.

Elizabeth said:
Including tax mine will be close to $900 on United from Chicago to Narita (close to 12 hours) because I wasn't able to make the reservation soon enough and now seat availaiblity is too limited for advertised rates to apply. :(

Dang, when will you be going to Japan? Yeah sucks how rats fluctuate. 😌

playaa said:
Dang, when will you be going to Japan? Yeah sucks how rats fluctuate. 😌
The end of the month and more than $250 than I shelled out for the end of March/early April. But just for a few days this time. :D And then I need to get really serious about saving for an extended stay. 😊

It is possibly to make a reservation and delay payment until two weeks before the flight date, though, in the hope that rates will go down again. I never realized that before....but yeah probably not this summer. :eek:

Anyone think it is worth it for travel insurance? it 7.5% of my ticket cost, so it would be about $50.00.. Is it worth it? Or just a peace of mind?

Thank you all for excellent tips and help! Especially Maciamo and Thomas by giving new travel ideas 🙇‍♂️
I looked for those options as well, but in the end the price wouldn't have been that much cheaper, but the effort would've been quite large..For example I'd need a visa to enter Russia to get to aeroflot.. It wouldn't be a problem, but I've got just a few weeks before I should go, so I really don't have time to organize complicated routes. Thank you anyway, so much. Maybe I'll use these routes on the other times I'll visit Japan :)
Anyways, I've just bought myself flight tickets to KIX!! :)
I found a cheaper price after all, so now I paid about 920竄ャ. And I can make changes to dates etc. for free, and the flight goes nonstop from HEL to KIX...So if everything goes well (I get the visa in time etc.), I'll be landing on Japanese ground on May 29th at 8:40am..unbelievable 😄

Chipi, you going to Osaka May 29th?Maybe I could extend my stay in or delay it to go to Osaka, if you want maybe me you and mad pierrot could all meet, and go eat or whatever? Up to you..

😄 Really?? That would be so great! I'm going further from Osaka to Kyoto (by the limousine bus from the airport), but I could stay in Osaka for a few hours I think. Or arrange something..but meeting Jref members, and people who have allready experienced Japan, would be really great..so, yes, if it's possible, then sure :) My e-mail is [email protected], so if you guys have some ideas etc, just mail me.

I will be in Tokyo, but was planning to leave and stay in Osaka/Kyoto for 3-4 days so I could arrange them to be the same time your over in Kyoto or Osaka, if you wanted to meet so maybe we could set it up with Mad Pierrot and see if he is free to meet with us also.

From Europe to Japan it could be low fares with swiss via Zurich....or with
Austrian...must check also via
Paris.....
I flought from Rom to Tokyo 3 times with Jal serviice very goood and kind crews
like all japanese...but seats too small for western people.....
Do not forget that is preferred direct flights even if you pay a little more
as with transfer is easier to have lost baggage....and is not very nice to spend hours at the airport at lost and found to try to know news.....
I suggest to have in your small baggage you take on board all you need for one or two days in case you cannot have you luggage back....
I have done this experience....and is not very confortable ......
helllo all
Ippolito

Back
Top Bottom