What's new

The Japanese Government vs. English Teachers

yukio_michael

後輩
8 Mar 2005
If you're Japanese you can drop out of university and become a member of the House of Representitives. But as a foreigner, I need a batchelors degree to teach kids coloquial phrases like the big cheese...???

Also, Sigimura, everyone knows you guys get perks in the government, but you're supposed to keep that on the down low buddy!

GaijinPunch said:
Is that supposed to be shocking? I don't think a bechelor's is required to be in congress in the US.
It's more in considering the fact that you don't even need to speak english to get your drivers liscence in the United States, that being required to have a degreee which is completely worthless within the United States to teach questionable english seems a bit much considering the fact that you're not even teaching grammar.

I think the original poster's point is that if you don't need a university degree to be involved in running the country, why should you need one to simply teach conversational English?

I had thought that it was simply policy of the big schools (ECC, Nova) to require a degree, but is it actually a law? Or is the law just related to getting a work permit to teach English?

For example, if I marry a Japanese person and become a legal resident, is a law still going to restrict me from teaching English?

Last edited:
karaokeyoga said:
I think the original poster's point is that if you don't need a university degree to be involved in running the country, why should you need one to simply teach conversational English?

Right, but my point is why single out Japan, when it's like that in most (that I know of) places. I guess the main point is that the people running the country are Japanese, and the people teaching English, are not.

karaokeyoga said:
That was exactly my point, thanks! I didn't really continue the argument because I didn't want to seem like I 'had it out for Japan---' it just happens to relate to my life--- It was a bit light hearted at the same time as it is frustrating for me.

A friend of mine sort of bummed around the USA for about a year doing nothing, and I have no-idea what sort of visa he had--- Maybe his company sponsored him for a 'long vacation' I don't know, he didn't work while visiting.

Revenant said:
Married to a Japanese.
I'm starting to think that I'm going to be doomed as the first sibling to mary---

GaijinPunch said:
Right, but my point is why single out Japan, when it's like that in most (that I know of) places. I guess the main point is that the people running the country are Japanese, and the people teaching English, are not.
Yeah, I was just venting my frustration at the same time noting the incredulousness of a politician who would so blatantly state his expected perks...

...I don't know how it is everywhere, I know a few un-educated people in England who do everyday jobs who've been from the United States, or South Africa--- It's hard to say.

I don't expect there to be any sort of comparison to a Japanese national to a foreigner, I think the idea of having a bachelor's degree is some sort of mark of character I suppose... I didn't mean to sound combative, if I did.

Hello, Yukio_Neko. Your comments/sentiments were very similar with mine when it was about 7 to 10 years ago (in my case, it is USA).

In my case, at first, it was important to get the visa/permanent residency; but as years go by, I don't care too much about those issues (in this regard, I am lucky as my employer has sponsored me in the states and this visa can be renewed as many times my employer/I want).

My point is I grew out of this habit of preoccupied about one country (in your case, Japan; in my case, it was USA) as there are so many other better opportunities in the world. I even subconsciously started hoping my next visa renewal will be rejected so that I can look for a new place/opportunity in Japan or other countries for better opportunity (sometimes, it is difficult to make a change without a change being forced on you; but, at this time, if I leave now, I feel I am a quitter as my current employment/career is serving me well)

I am weary about marrying host country's citizen so that I can stay in that same country. I feel marriage is like a life sentence (as that bond intended for a lifetime) and I don't want to set myself up for a life sentence (in terms of emotional and more importantly financial impacts) for a foreign country.

I feel it is not good for you if this visa issue is consuming you greatly. It is about one country out of so many.

I am not aware how many years you have been in Japan. In my case, I have seen good and bad things about staying in USA. I admit I had only unrealistically positive views on this country before/when I first arrived here. No one country is a paradise per se (there are always good and bad parts) and if you cannot live in the country you like to live in, it is not the end of the world as there is many other countries with opportunities (especially now that we are living in the global economy connecting many countries/cultures).

Also, there won't be any positive outcome if a foreigner complains about or fights with the immigration policy of the host country he or she is trying to live or get in. A college/university degree to teach English in Japan is one of those standards Japan decided to set up as its immigration or teaching industry policy. I bet other countries also have similar restrictions and different barriers before they allow foreigners get into their territories.

I wish you the best in attaining what you are looking for.

But as a foreigner, I need a batchelors degree to teach kids coloquial phrases like the big cheese...???

Is that supposed to be shocking? I don't think a bechelor's is required to be in congress in the US.

Last time I checked guys it was BACHELOR'S ;-) Maybe this is why they don't let anybody just teach :p

Btw, do you need a degree in English to teach in Japan? Or is a Bachelor's degree enough :?

RockLee said:
Last time I checked guys it was BACHELOR'S ;-) Maybe this is why they don't let anybody just teach :p

Btw, do you need a degree in English to teach in Japan? Or is a Bachelor's degree enough :?
No, the bachelor's degree is enough. ;P

edit: Or I suppose a valid visa that permits you to work--- (working holiday visa, spousal visa--- work visa... I believe cultural/school visas allow you to work for some percentage of time as well.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom