Whether you want to see cherry blossoms in Kyoto, speed through the countryside aboard a shinkansen, or shop til you drop in futuristic Shibuya; your DK Eyewitness travel guide makes sure you experience all Japan has to offer. Japan is a land of contrast – think tranquil zen gardens, peaceful pagodas, neon-lit cities, and robot restaurants.
Cities might be the first things that spring to mind when you think of Japan, but the countryside is just as epic. There's the iconic Mount Fuji, bubbling hot springs, unspoiled beaches and adrenaline-packed ski resorts. And if that wasn't enough to entice you to visit, there's the food – unctuous noodles, delicate sushi and warming hotpots.
The updated guide brings Japan to life, transporting you there like no other travel guide does with expert-led insights, trusted travel advice, detailed breakdowns of all the must-see sights, photographs on practically every page, and our hand-drawn illustrations place you inside the country's iconic buildings and neighbourhoods.
Inside DK Eyewitness Japan, travellers will find:
- A fully-illustrated top experiences guide: expert picks of Japan's must-sees and hidden gems
- Accessible itineraries to make the most out of every day
- Expert advice: honest recommendations for getting around safely, when to visit each sight, what to do before you visit, and how to save time and money
- Colour-coded chapters to every part of from Tokyo to Kyoto City, Hokkaido to Okinawa
- Practical tips: the best places to eat, drink, shop and stay
- Detailed maps and walks to help you navigate the region country quickly and confidently
- Covers: Central Tokyo, Northern Tokyo, Western Tokyo, Farther Afield, Central Honshu, Kyoto City, Western Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu, Okinawa, Northern Honshu, Hokkaido