What's new

Zero hours contracts

KyushuWoozy

Sempai
Donor
13 Dec 2015
Does anybody know if it's legal to employ someone in Japan without a fixed minimum number of working hours? I mean just working as and when needed, whenever there is work available. Brits will be familiar with these as 'zero-hours contracts' because they've been in the news a lot recently. I've Googled a lot of stuff in English and found about part-time contracts, and temporary contracts, but not seen any mention of zero-hours except a brief article where it's defined as zero-jikan keiyaku/ ゼロ時間契約).

Thanks.

I think it must be legal to employ people without a specified fixed minimum of hours, otherwise the 派遣 places couldn't operate. Whether contracts are involved or not, I couldn't say.

If you look carefully, all the articles talking about ゼロ時間契約 are talking about England. The only exception to that I found during a brief look was an article on the Japan Communist Party website saying that New Zealand had passed a law forbidding it.

What exactly is your concern with such a situation, KyushuWoozy? Visa? Guaranteed wage? Taxes? Something else?

Visa? Guaranteed wage? Taxes? Something else?

None of those things. I'm assuming all those things will be the same as with a regular employee. As Mike said it's been outlawed in New Zealand (it's often a much-abused kind of employment) so I just wanted to check it was legal here before I investigated further.

Thanks @Mike Cash and @Glenski as always. I'll be looking more into the
legal / regulatory stuff and I'll post what I find.

You might want to take a look at the Labour Laws, especially chapters 2, 3, and 4. They might have something helpful. Been a while since I read them.

Back
Top Bottom