What's new

Your help on this Good Luck Flag. Is it fake?

Francesc T

Registered
11 Aug 2017
Hello,
I came through this flag and before deciding I should appreciate your opinion on the texts and the way they are written. The irradiating colums look right.

The big size one is suspicious to me as seem written with not much care.
The brown coloured reinforcements even if they do look worn were stitched with not too much care. The cloth looks pretty new and folded, even if some small stain can be noticed.

I'm new comer to this matter and in need of advice as I read so much about fakes that serious doubts arose to me.

Thanks in advance for your interest, time and help.

Francesc

PS. Looking again to the brown reinforcements for the strings, they seem loose to me not stitched. Just kept in place with as a buttonhole.

Attachments

• 170813 flag FT.png
    170813 flag FT.png
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • Screenshot_20170813-100252.png
    Screenshot_20170813-100252.png
    748.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot_20170813-100408.png
    Screenshot_20170813-100408.png
    655 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
The message at the top says 祝凱旋 (in celebration of triumph).

It seems to be presented to someone named with a three-kanji name 囗, with the honorific (kun) attached to it.. I can't make out the first kanji, so I can't tell where the family name ends and the given name begins. The given name could be 延宏 (Nobuhiro). This means the family name is a one-kanji name; something like 鷲 or 鷺, or some similar word with the 鳥 radical in it. But that would make for a slightly unusual last name.
Next to the name there is a vertical line of writing that might give a clue as to what the triumph is all about, but I cannot read any of it.
Seems to be authentically commemorating something, but I cannot tell what that something is. It could be a war victory. It could be overcoming a difficult illness.

The message at the top says 祝凱旋 (in celebration of triumph).

It seems to be presented to someone named with a three-kanji name 囗, with the honorific (kun) attached to it.. I can't make out the first kanji, so I can't tell where the family name ends and the given name begins. The given name could be 延宏 (Nobuhiro). This means the family name is a one-kanji name; something like 鷲 or 鷺, or some similar word with the 鳥 radical in it. But that would make for a slightly unusual last name.
Next to the name there is a vertical line of writing that might give a clue as to what the triumph is all about, but I cannot read any of it.
Seems to be authentically commemorating something, but I cannot tell what that something is. It could be a war victory. It could be overcoming a difficult illness.

Many thanks Majestic,
I'm grateful for your kind help in throwing light on this text.
During the weekend I started to surf for learning about japanese flags even if for not so long. It's new to me as washi and dorayakis were my regular interests. Happy and worried at the same time I found yesterday the attached flag from Obon web, with the same heading.
Being a post vistory/success flag it explains it's good condition. Even if it's fitted to be mounted on a pole.Trophy instead of Good luck then is the key word... Are there further types?

I though after posting that I focused too much on the strings fittings and not so much on the text. An I still suppose that the way of plying the flag must be a consolidate ritual in it's form.

I'll expose it flat to better read the full tex and re-post for further sharing.

Thansk a lot and feell free to ask for whatosever you may need form thi spart of te world. It will be a pleasure

Attachments

• 2016-0302_med_hr.jpeg
    2016-0302_med_hr.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 193
Your flag looks to be of the same genre of the flag from the Obon Society. That flag seems to be celebrating the opening of a construction business. Perhaps it was to celebrate the start of a business in Manchuria just before the war. So I can speculate that your flag is commemorating a similar business venture. The start of a new factory or school or some other enterprise. Hard to say without any further details.

The name of the recipient in your initial post would be 為延宏. The two interpretation Tame Nobuhiro and Tamenobu Hiroshi are both possible, but the former one would be correct because of the space between 為 and 延.

Back
Top Bottom