What's new

Young female gaijin in Tokyo

Diana

後輩
29 Jul 2002
Since I'll be going to Tokyo in the fall, I wonder what I should expect in terms of how the Japanese will see me. I've heard a lot about gaijin men (and how desirable they are LOL), but less about women. I'm a student in the US, but I come from Romania.

So... will I be stared at? Will I hear comments on my big eyes and feet? (My eyes are actually pretty big.)

I'd appreciate some opinions, and/or warnings, advice etc.
Yoroshiku!
🙂

Japanese people love big eyes. You'll make envious there. Just look at the manga; why do you think they always have so huge eyes. It's cute and sexy, so suits Japan perfectly.

If you are blond with blue eyes, you'll also attract attention (positively). Otherwise, don't worry, caucasians are pretty well perceived in Japan. They will not make the difference whether you're from Romania, France or the US. Japanese are very bad at distinguishing gaijins (except whites from blacks).

a side note is that they may treat you great...don't expect to be completely acepted into their social circles.

Don't let that diminish your opinion...they will ALWAYS treat you with grace and respect.

Mm, wow, does anybody know how male gaijin are received in Japan? I know people that had to give autographs and a lot of japanese wanted their photo taken with them. and they are NOT famous at all. 😄

Must have done something wrong, as I was never chased by autograph hunters in Japan...
;)

"Gaijin attraction" also depends on your location, don't expect people in Tokyo to turn their heads, you may have different experiences at the country-side though.

Yeah, I had dozens of schoolchildren asking me for autographs and pictures with them in Nara because their teachers had asked them to question foreign tourists about what they tought of Nara, then to make them sign on the questionaire. That's not really the same thing though.

I've had my share way back when. Recently it's mother's at the school I teach at.

Gaijin are no longer that popular ....

Glad to hear that gaijin aren't as popular as before.....I remember
being on a local train in Shizuoka-ken when another train pulled along side going in the opposite direction. One of the chidren in that car waved to me and I made the mistake of waving back. Soon everybody in the other car,children, women, and old men
were waving back at me and they didn't stop until my train finally pulled away a couple of minutes later. After that I made sure I would try and maintain non-eye contact whenever I found myself in a trapped location. The situation was definitely different in Tokyo where gaijin are a dime a dozen but then Tokyo has always been its own cosmopolitian world compared to the rest of Japan.

Hahahaha. These are all great stories. I can't wait to see what happens when I make it to Japan someday.

Likewise, as I will be in the greater minority considering I'm not caucasian. My first trip will be Tokyo, but I am also interested in extending it to the countryside for my first visit.

Hey! Those kinds of kids are great! I do it all the time even while driving :)

It's the drunk old farts that irratate me ... errrr ...

Replies

Nice stories!
Thanks for your insights, I would indeed imagine Tokyo to be quite cosmopolitan. If I manage to make a few good Japanese friends (and no enemies), then I will declare myself very happy with the Japanese experience. It should be cool.

I don't expect to ever understand "all things Japanese", but at least I can keep an open mind and be friendly.
You know they say, "If you want to make a friend, be a friend." :)
I hope the stories will keep coming...

Who said Gaijin are not popular? 1. I don't think you should speak on behalf of ever single foreigner in the world and 2. it's obviously something wrong with you because if you have good looks, nice designer clothing and money you'll have the opposite sex falling for you like crazy, let me reiterate once again, don't show up to a costume party in a tshirt and bluejeans.

Sorry forum i've been busy being filmed and planning my next trip, i'll be back in Japan this November, if anyone wants to chill just email me.

josh - ghettocities clothing
[email protected]
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

Attachments

• roppongiyo.gif
    roppongiyo.gif
    53.4 KB · Views: 266
I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

If a lasting relationship it's more difficult and Gaijin are less popular.

If it's a one night thing, Gaijin can be very popular. But so are various STD/VDs. Condome usage is still very low in Japan. ;)

Also, the amount of popularity compared to 10 years ago has dropped due to the amount of Gaijin and commanlity of them. But I guess you know the scene much better than I do.

yeah ...

I agree with moyashi sensei. There are far more gaijin over there now and just talking with my penpals, they have expressed a discust for a lot of them. Gaijin are not tuned to the right social graces, for the most part. If you looking for exceptance as a gaijin, there certainly are places you can go. Just be warey of STD's...very warey...

Maciamo said:
Japanese people love big eyes. You'll make envious there. Just look at the manga; why do you think they always have so huge eyes. It's cute and sexy, so suits Japan perfectly.

If you are blond with blue eyes, you'll also attract attention (positively). Otherwise, don't worry, caucasians are pretty well perceived in Japan. They will not make the difference whether you're from Romania, France or the US. Japanese are very bad at distinguishing gaijins (except whites from blacks).
I think I quoted the wrong quote. I know Ghettocities has a bigger jet-setting lifestyle than all of us, so I guess the regular populus of gaijins won't be regarded, and Josh will......I think that's what I'm getting from this whole conversation. So yeah,....uh.........don't get STD's....they're bad for you......?

I've always thought it odd that the Japanese had a fetish with the common foreigner with doe eyes look......why is that anyway? Is it because it's an uncommon Japanese look? I'm just confused by the wide eyes.........

WHY WONT IT DIE!?!

Ah well, i thought it was funny seeing josh on the forums then i saw the date :|

What? I'm sorry....I wasn't picking a fight or debating a discussion Rock Lee. I was telling it how I saw it.

Wait, if you joined in 2004, how would you know about a topic ending two years ago?

Well Im not in Tokyo, but in Kyoto..I guess there are some similarities though with the reactions youll get in Tokyo..(?)

Ive had in a way three kinds of reactions:
1. they ignore me (and sometimes I feel very relieved about it)
2. They stare me, with not-so-friendly-athmosphere, for example one old man grounted at me at the train station...all though I think it was hilarious ;)
3.They stare me, are very friendly, and in the club some are VERY friendly..

Some of the girls are best, they really cheer me up when they point at me and yell "kawaii!" and clap their hands. Then again, last weekend in the club, so many people came to talk to me, but they were all guys. (not that there would be anything wrong with it though ina way ;) ) one guy allready asked me to be his girlfriend..

My feelings vary - sometimes I really love to get the attention and sometimes I just wish I was invisible...but mostly, Im enjoying :)

Sgt Wang....hehe look at the date of the last post :)

26-08-02 19:49
samuraitora I agree with moyashi sensei. There are far more gaijin over there now and just talking with my penpals, they have expressed a discust for a lot of them. Gaijin are not tuned to the right social graces, for the most part. If you looking for exceptance as a gaijin, there certainly are places you can go. Just be warey of STD's...very warey...

I'm just mentioning that you better look at the last post in some cases...because they ended 2 years ago :p

Back
Top Bottom