What's new

Would you check my sentences for Part 3 (1)?

hirashin

Sempai
Donor
8 Apr 2004
Hello, native English speakers,
It's been a while.
The new semester has begun and I have to make new exercises.

This is for the 11th graders. Would you check the sentences again, please?

Q1 次の英文を和訳しなさい。(Translate into Japanese)
①He is a wise person with an international perspective. (wise 賢い/ perspective 視点,視野)

②In the city library, there are more than ten thousand books in Braille.

③When the fire alarm went off, I didn't notice it because I have difficulty hearing.

④All the restrooms in this building are made in universal design technique so that disabled people can use them easily.

⑤People in wheelchairs can't use this restroom comfortably. (comfortably 快適に,心地よく)

⑥Cartoon characters such as Mickey Mouse and Snoopy are still popular.

⑦As for people who have problems with their eyes or ears, most of them find this room really
comfortable.

⑧Most students including Takashi and Hiromi passed the final exam. (final 最終の)

⑨From a medical point of view, there was no need for the operation. (medical 医学的な,医学の)

⑩The moment he saw an apple fall to the ground, he came up with a new idea.
[the moment S V = SがVした瞬間 the momentは接続詞句]

The rest will be in another post.

Hirashin

An Irish person corrected ④. He changed it as "All the restrooms in this building are designed so they can be used easily by people with disabilities." What do you think? Would his version sound better? Would mine sound unnatural or awkward?

④ If you want to keep the words "universal design" you can naturally write the sentence this way:

All the restrooms in this building are made using universal design techniques so that disabled people can use them easily.

You can optionally add a comma after 'techniques'.

⑦ We do not use the sentence-starting form "As for ..." very often. Usually there is a simpler way to say the same thing without using that expression. If you want to keep this as it is, that is OK, but you can write it more simply as follows:

Most people who have problems with their eyes or ears find this room really comfortable.

The only situation I can immediately think of where we naturally use "As for ..." is when replying to someone else who has asked several questions / made several points, and you want to make clear which question / point you are replying to. For example, "As for your point about the increased workload, ..."

⑧ To me, this sentence is much more natural if you use commas:

Most students, including Takashi and Hiromi, passed the final exam.

Thank you very much for your ongoing help, joadbres.

The original text goes like this. It includes "as for" twice at the beginning of the sentence.
That's why I thought it's a phrase used often.

A new terminal for international passengers was opened at Haneda Airport in 2010. You can see some excellent examples of universal design there. The restrooms are large, for instance, so people in wheelchairs or with large suitcases find them easy to use. Parents with babies to look after also find them useful. As for people who have problems with their eyes, the restrooms have guide maps in Braille, as well as voice guides. And when the fire alarm goes off in the airport, lights flash on and off so that people who have difficulty hearing will know that a fire has broken out.

The terminal also has many examples of things designed for people who cannot reach up very high, such as small children and people in wheelchairs. Such things include drinking fountains, public telephones, vending machines, and a PC corner. As for people who have difficulty speaking, there are "communication boards" and writing materials at all the information counters.

A universal design committee was set up when work began on the new terminal. The members of the committee included people with various disabilities. One of them was Matsumori Karin. Because of her hearing disability, she was able to think about design from a handicapped person's point of view and come up with many valuable ideas for the new airport.

Back
Top Bottom